Older Homes......

Status
Not open for further replies.
^So do I. A bubble has formed very rapidly, especially here where I live. These situations are very rarely sustainable for more than a couple of years. If I were looking to sell a house in the DFW area I would avoid buying another until the bubble pops. You can get top dollar right now selling a house, but you will then get into a bidding war to buy a replacement.

I would be cautious if an older home has had upgrades inside very recently and then put on the housing market. I've seen waay too many shoddy remodels like that. I'd rather have an old home that has not been updated much, besides maybe some electrical and plumbing. Back when I lived in Mississippi we bought a house that was built in the 20's, it was electrified and plumbed sometime in the 40's. The wiring was old, but intact. A couple repairs to junction boxes and was serviceable for our needs. The plumbing was a different story, but its original install was wrong, as in sloped the wrong way for several feet. I was going to crawl under there and fix it, but needed to move back to PA quickly, so it never got done (and yes the new owners were aware of situation).

Come to think of it, the duplex we're in now that was built in the 90's has more questionable wiring than the knob and tube/cloth coated wiring in my old house, lol.

My favorite houses are the Art Deco houses from the 1950s-70s. We're casually home shopping as well and these houses always seem to really hold their value.

Originally Posted By: Delta
I would be cautious if an older home has had upgrades inside very recently and then put on the housing market. I've seen waay too many shoddy remodels like that. I'd rather have an old home that has not been updated much, besides maybe some electrical and plumbing. Back when I lived in Mississippi we bought a house that was built in the 20's, it was electrified and plumbed sometime in the 40's. The wiring was old, but intact. A couple repairs to junction boxes and was serviceable for our needs. The plumbing was a different story, but its original install was wrong, as in sloped the wrong way for several feet. I was going to crawl under there and fix it, but needed to move back to PA quickly, so it never got done (and yes the new owners were aware of situation).

Come to think of it, the duplex we're in now that was built in the 90's has more questionable wiring than the knob and tube/cloth coated wiring in my old house, lol.

I will find out what the upgrades are when I see it tomorrow. But they have been done over the past 10 years.

Older houses were built in an era of cheap materials and cheap labor.
If it looks like wood, it is wood and not some fabricated wood-like product.
A well-built fifty year old house is probably a better built house than is the typical McMansion of the past couple of decades.
A newer McMasion will have all the cost expended in the interior, where you can see it, especially the bathrooms and kitchen while the basic structure and systems may not be intended to last much beyond thirty years.
I would not fear an older quality-built house.
We live in such a house.
JMHO

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
Originally Posted By: supton
A while ago I stumbled onto a home inspection book on google books. Maybe you can find it, or find likewise in a book store. Why pay for a home inspector when you can do your own own?

Sure, and while you're at it, get a doctor book, a lawyer book, and an astronaut book.

The home inspectors I've used had far more knowledge, insight and experience than a visit to Google Books.

Actually it would not be a bad idea to read a bit of doctor stuff. No just in terms of preventative care but also in terms of more drastic options. My wife got an opinion of "immediate" neck surgery followed by... two opinions of, no harm to wait. Right now she is not convinced the diagnosis is completely correct anyhow.

I'm not saying to not get a house inspection. I am saying though to learn what those guys are looking for. That way you can inspect everything yourself on the first visit; and then play tagalong during a real inspection.

No different than looking at a used car. A bit of work and anyone can inspect one themselves.

Well guys and girls I saw the house today, LOVE the interior. It had some nice upgrades. Including a new roof and windows in the past 10 years if I am not mistaken. Not sure yet if its something I can afford yet, but if it is and the inspection goes well I may pursue it, I love the character!

Asbestos siding and roofing is no problem and actually lasts forever. Asbestos is bad when in dust form. Siding and roofing wont effect you. Too many worry warts. Houses in Florida pretty much last forever and all are built cheap. Seriously they don't take nearly the beating down here other states take. My house was built in 1979. I wouldn't worry a bit about a house built in 1959. My house in PA was built in 1936 and had railroad rails for basement supports.

My previous house was built in 1890. The beams were unfinished logs. I never liked that house. The plumbing was a mix of copper, PVC, and cast iron. From years of settling, nothing was square. Window and door replacement was a nightmare. There was a large rock in the foundation wall. I assume it was too big to move, so they just built around it. My current house is built in 1972. I'm much happier with it.

Unless it's been gutted and updated....one word....RUN. I had a house built in 1957....ughhhhh....SO many problems. Lead paint, asbestos, floor tile, plumbing, electrical, shifting, doors, window sashes, etc. etc. Again....RUN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back