Older Homes......

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am passively house searching, I am no real to buy now so I have been casually looking. My realtor recently informed me of a house that will be going on the market soon, but he is going to show it to me before it goes on the market. The thing is, it was built in 1959. The exterior is very clean looking, I will see the inside this week if things go as planned. It is supposed to be upgraded on the inside. I am a first time home buyer so I have a lot of unknowns. The thing that concerns me is the shear age of the home. If everything was inspected and came back clear...should I still be concerned about the age? Or is an old home, just an old home and nothing to worry about?

1959 is NOT old. The house I'm looking at currently was built in the mid to late 1800's, my current home was built just after the turn of the century (early 1900's).

As long as the plumbing and wiring are updated you'll be fine, as I doubt insulation is as big of a concern in Florida as it is up here in the GWN.

A while ago I stumbled onto a home inspection book on google books. Maybe you can find it, or find likewise in a book store. Why pay for a home inspector when you can do your own own? Or at least be all the more in the know when you go.

My house got a clean bill from the inspector. I think he was full of it. It won't fall down anytime soon, but the list of things wrong is too long. Next time I buy I will do far more work about framing etc.

I am not a fan of those post war homes, they typically have small, closed off rooms with low ceilings, no insulation and no architectural details. On the positive side, in the areas I am familiar with (NE and PHX) they are very well built with all block construction and modern enough to have copper plumbing and semi-modern wiring. I grew up in a house built in 1958 so maybe that is what jaded me.

Of course it all depends on what updates have been done to it, where it's at and what you can get it for.

Insulation in Florida is the number one deal with the heat.
I'm in the process of moving there and Florida is looking to make
spray foam insulation mandatory in new homes- ceilings only I believe. However I do agree 1959 is not old and the rest of your post. It really boils down to how the house was maintained.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
1959 is NOT old. The house I'm looking at currently was built in the mid to late 1800's, my current home was built just after the turn of the century (early 1900's).

As long as the plumbing and wiring are updated you'll be fine, as I doubt insulation is as big of a concern in Florida as it is up here in the GWN.

A lot depends upon the original construction quality and quality of maintenance since. Just like any other era home (yes, even homes from the 20's and 30's) the quality of the original construction can vary widely, as can the quality of the maintenance and updates that have been done. I've seen some incredible 50's/60's vintage homes, and I've seen some pretty shoddy 50's/60's vintage homes.

that is not old at all just look at build quality that was when things were cheapening my house was built in 1930 and looks and acts perfectly only thing is the walls instead of being sheet rock they are plaster cement and steel very hard to cut through.

Chances are, if its older than 30 years old, you shouldn't have to deal with those pesky HOA's

Originally Posted By: Rand
2 words Lead Paint.

Lead, and Asbestos, and Chlordane

Modern utilities and insulation may sap up some cash, god help you if you need remediation work.

Tread carefully

The house I grew up in was built in 56. Very poorly made. Aluminum wiring, Asbestos in the flooring and louver windows. It burned to the ground 8 years ago due to an electrical problem that was unknown at the time. A few years after that I moved into a 1949 house that was ten times the house of the 1956. Very well built and wish I could have bought it. Was a rental. I am also back looking to purchase a home.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
My house is from the 50's. Has asbestos siding and cloth covered wiring.

Mine had knob and tube originally, LOL!!
grin.gif
It was updated by the PO.

I'd be wary of asbestos shingles on the outside.

For a starter home, if you have hopes of moving on, get the most generic house you can find, that you still like, so it will sell quickly.

If you want to keep it forever, check the lot setback rules in case you want to add a garage or expand the house. On a 1950s house the rules could have been more lax, locking in/ grandfathering in how the house sits, and limiting your future options.

Those houses were built quite well [structurally] from that era, although updating the electric would be a good idea. You will probably encounter lead and asbestos as already mentioned, factor it into your bid. Asbestos shingles are usually covered with vinyl or aluminum siding, and asbestos pipe wrapping in most of the homes I'm in was removed long ago. Lead paint typically has been painted over several times, and is a fact of life in the older homes, unless they were gutted. Honestly I don't see lead as a problem unless someone is grinding it or eating peeling lead paint chips. Still as a buyer it is something to be aware of.

If any of the above is a concern, look for a newer home.

My ex girlfriend's dad was a architect that drew plans for people that bought old houses, tore them down and rebuilt a modern house. A house from the 40's and 50's will need lots of work and he drew plans as to make the house similar to the one that was bulldozed. He specialized in Coral Gables and Miami Beach, both cities are difficult to deal with.

Lots of cities will not allow a McMansion to be built.... new house/plans has to be approved by the city or its a No go.

If all the houses in the neighborhood were all built at the same time, ask the neighbors what the issues are.
The building quality and maintenance is more important than the age IMO.

I bought a house "in town" a year and a half ago. The original owners had it built in 1967 and lived there until the husband died (they were in their 80's...bought it from their kids). I lucked out as they not only lived in it all those years but updated it (windows, new kitchen and bath, plumbing and electrical upgrades) over time. I removed the carpeting and installed a patio door and deck on the back but everything else (aside from new paint) is pretty much as it was when I bought it. The basement is deep and dry (partially finished)and the walls were insulated when it was built (surprising considering the age...heating and cooling costs have been low). I also hired a home inspector when I bought it and he was impressed...said the house was extremely well built. I love the place...great neighborhood and neighbors. My last house was built in 1961 and was a cheaply built "tract" house...couldn't begin to hold a candle to this place.

Originally Posted By: supton
A while ago I stumbled onto a home inspection book on google books. Maybe you can find it, or find likewise in a book store. Why pay for a home inspector when you can do your own own?

Sure, and while you're at it, get a doctor book, a lawyer book, and an astronaut book.

The home inspectors I've used had far more knowledge, insight and experience than a visit to Google Books.

If I were looking at homes I'd hold off a while....homes have become a commodity that fluctuate in price based on interest rates, the economy etc...I think we're do for another downturn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back