Dorman Intermediate Steering Shaft - Improved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at solutions to fix a clunking/popping intermediate steering shaft on a 2008 Camry.

Dorman offers a replacement intermediate steering shaft that carries a lifetime warranty. They are claiming that their design is "improved" over the OE design.

Does anyone have any experience with Dorman's supposedly improved steering shafts? My past experience with Dorman has been so-so, but I am willing to give them another chance since the price is right.

Thanks!

For reference - OE shaft is $200, Dorman is $122 shipped from Amazon.

Last edited:
Not a Camry but I can tell you about my 04 Malibu. Got a Dorman shaft from Rock Auto and installed it then got a recall notice on it from Dorman. They sent me an OEM GM shaft in the Original box with GM part number that was way better built.

The Dorman was sub-par and very much less metal around the clamping part that fit on the rack.They didn't real'y give a reason for the recall but apparently they couldnt make a better replacement than OEM.

I have had pretty good luck with Cardone parts in the past.

Is this pop due to binding while sliding? Our '01 Aurora has the same issue which has been resolved for a year now and well over 10,000 miles with a generous application of grease. Others have had mixed results, usually solved for a short time then returning with the same technique. I did not use plain old lithium chassis grease I used Triflow synthetic grease and its held up well so far.

Dorman has a spotty reputation for quality, they are for the most part a repackager of low end stuff. go OE.
As someone posted it doesn’t seem to be a problem with the part but a lack of lube.
49.gif

Last edited:
wifey's 04 camry intermediate steering shaft had the "clunk" when purchased (we are the 2nd owner). Bought a Toy improved replacement shaft and been advised by the seller (discount toy parts dealer) that the one I shall be receiving would be 2nd revision (improved twice already)., per TSB.

Installed it @ 69k, now over 214k, problem completely resolved and no more clunking.

Also: don't bother greasing it for this is a clearance issues (between the inner splines mating surface), and greasing would not help minimising the void within.....

Q.

I've had good luck with their replacement steering shaft for my car. I used to have to go to the dealer annually to replace the GM one. Not so much with the Dorman piece.

My experience with Dorman is that it's adequate or that the quality is less than OEM. Odds are, it's also made overseas. However, I had an interesting experience with the last Dorman part I ordered.
I recently bought a '98 Ford Ranger 3.0/5 speed from my cousin's estate. I noticed that the serpentine belt tensioner was getting worn and it needed replacement. I found a Dorman replacement on RockAuto that was on closeout and at a super low price...and I rolled the dice. It arrived in a Dorman box with a Dorman part number on the box. Most closeouts on RockAuto only have a 30 day warranty and since I was real busy, didn't get it installed in the 30 day time period. I didn't even open the box to inspect it in those 30 days. When it came time to install it, I found out that it REALLY was OEM quality because it was OEM. Matter-of-fact, it's a genuine Ford part right down to the Ford logo and the F59E-6B209-AB part number. I was elated! But on closer inspection, it doesn't fit my '98 Ranger, but a '95 or '96 3.0 Aerostar. I immediately went to my local auto parts store and bought one that fits and works perfectly. I think from now on, I'll visually inspect all Dorman products before actually buying them.
Anybody wanna buy a cheap Dorman Ford tensioner? :)

I used to be rather keen on Dorman. I am even on their Dorman Insider team which works with issues we see. I've seen questionable quality. I've replaced a door lock actuator 2x and the 2nd one is bad within a week. The 1st lasted 1 month. Cheaply made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back