Motorcraft fl500s cut open 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: R80RS
One of the nicest looking Purolator made filters I've seen posted here in a while. Thanks.

I was definitely impressed myself, I'll go back to this filter after I use up my pure ones....they're a great value it seems.

Really does looks good. Where's that 200 mph tape??
smile.gif

Wish them chickenheads at Ford had put a 3.5 in my 08 Fusion. Mine had the 3.0 good motor but would have liked to have had a motor like the one you have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Really does looks good. Where's that 200 mph tape??
smile.gif

Wish them chickenheads at Ford had put a 3.5 in my 08 Fusion. Mine had the 3.0 good motor but would have liked to have had a motor like the one you have.

It's definitely a good motor, it amazes me when I go on a trip and I manage 30+ mpg in such a heavy car. The 3.0 is tried and true though, it'll run forever.

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy
Uh can u duct tape back together it and triple the oci lol. Looks good for it.

Hahaha seeing this filter almost makes me believe that Fords 10k mile OCI isn't so crazy.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
To bad they don't all look like this.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Impressive for a change...

Well hopefully mine continue to look like this! It looks like a great filter

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It's because it's a newer design than the other models

For some reason I thought my car took a fl400s, but was surprised to see this filter on it. The dealer has changed it the first couple times. I'm not as familiar with the fl500s. It looks like a great filter though.

Looks excellent. A Motorcraft filter and MC SynBlend 5w20 been a solid combination for a long time. MC SynBlend 5w20 used to be the best value 5w20 starting in the early 2000's. Now though, lots of competition and not the value oil it once was. Still good oil though.

And though this MC looks stellar, majority MC's posted here have looked quite good, no issues. Thinking a well maintained engine here too which always helps.

Thanks for pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks excellent. A Motorcraft filter and MC SynBlend 5w20 been a solid combination for a long time. MC SynBlend 5w20 used to be the best value 5w20 starting in the early 2000's. Now though, lots of competition and not the value oil it once was. Still good oil though.

And though this MC looks stellar, majority MC's posted here have looked quite good, no issues. Thinking a well maintained engine here too which always helps.

Thanks for pics.

All my cars have usually gotten this combo, no problems thus far. I'm a little crazy when it comes to my cars and maintenance.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Can you check the vertical glue joint in the pleat and see if there are any leaks?

One of the pictures shows it, but I can't really tell from it. When I get home from work I'll take a closer look and report back.

I am assuming this filter saw very little to no "cold" start ups? Seems to be what makes the filters a bit more wavy than usual.. Not that it is bad or anything though.

The ADBV has Fomoco on it, so it is made specific to that brand. Maybe Fomoco is getting wind of the tearing media and adbv problems Purolator has had. I think people overlook how important the ADBV is for flow as well as anti draining. I'd like to know what the can thickness is. I just measured a Fram Ultra and was a little disappointed in finding .013" with paint on. That's nice oil at 5k miles. Mine was very black at the same mileage.

I just swapped out Motorcraft Semi-syn 5W20 & MC FL-500S Filter out of my truck for Pennzoil Platinum PP 5W-20 & NAPA Gold 7502 Filter. I'm a Pennzoil & NG fan, but the MC oil and filter really are a good combo and use from time to time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I am assuming this filter saw very little to no "cold" start ups? Seems to be what makes the filters a bit more wavy than usual.. Not that it is bad or anything though.

Not really. It's seen ambient temperatures between 75F-110F.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The ADBV has Fomoco on it, so it is made specific to that brand. Maybe Fomoco is getting wind of the tearing media and adbv problems Purolator has had. I think people overlook how important the ADBV is for flow as well as anti draining. I'd like to know what the can thickness is. I just measured a Fram Ultra and was a little disappointed in finding .013" with paint on. That's nice oil at 5k miles. Mine was very black at the same mileage.

I know color isn't an indication of oil condition, but I was surprised at how long the oil stays clean looking in this car. I myself thought it was interesting to see FoMoCo on the ADV. My Crown Victoria I had didn't like anything but Motorcraft filters, it would rattle with anything else on start up.

Originally Posted By: tomcruise

Thanks for pics.

All my cars have usually gotten this combo, no problems thus far. I'm a little crazy when it comes to my cars and maintenance.

But smart enough not to pay the stealer 'about $100' for the MC Full Synthetic Oil and Filter change.

For ~5k mi. oci MC SynBlend all you need. Rainman would agree.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: tomcruise

Thanks for pics.

But smart enough not to pay the stealer 'about $100' for the MC Full Synthetic Oil and Filter change.

For ~5k mi. oci MC SynBlend all you need. Rainman would agree.
56.gif

Yup, I couldn't believe that price, outrageous. My free changes are up and on to doing it myself again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back