Finally getting another motorcycle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my younger and dumber years I had an 1980 Honda CB650- ran like poo, but was fast enough to get me in some trouble (blasted up to a gravel filled intersection- not sure of the exact sequence, but I entered the ditch sideways)... Anyway the bike was lightly damaged and I was sore. After that the charging system stopped working correctly and I sold the bike... Been wanting another since. That was about 15 years ago.

Well a really good customer who deals in these old bikes proposed a trade of sorts today. He's pretty well handicapped and can't do much physical stuff- he can still ride, but hard work is out, so he wants me to wire his custom Rev Tech powered chopper and he'll give me a largely intact (90%) 1978 KZ650 with 19,000 miles. I said heck yeah!

It needs a battery, maybe some brake work, clean the carbs, the Dyna ignition removed and replaced with something else and ???? Not sure. Supposedly the engine has two weak cylinders- BUT, it also had a bad coil on those two cylinders. Hopefully that is the cause (a misdiagnosis). He told me that if the engine really is toast, he would give me an engine from an '82 KZ 650.

Bike is pretty clean and straight and will come with a 4 into 1 header- perfect! I love the sound that [censored] bikes make when plumbed with 4 into 1's!!!

It may show up at my place as soon as tomorrow- I'll be sure to snap a few pics asap and post them up.

Is there anything I need to know about this bike?

EDIT- evidently the three letter shortening for Japanese is a censored word? What gives?

Last edited:
Congrats! Have fun!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

EDIT- evidently the three letter shortening for Japanese is a censored word? What gives?

In this world of PC, it is considered a derogatory term.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Congrats! Have fun!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

In this world of PC, it is considered a derogatory term.

Good thing you did not pick up an old British bike. Some had engines that had that three latter name stamped all over them.

Engine-image1small.jpg

Last edited:
Now I understand and completely support censorship - but we all have to admit, that's taking it a little too far.

Come on now, that borderlines on complete and utter stupidity - especially considering that the term in question has other meanings, and one (as pointed out) is a brand of Vintage British engine.

Nazi censorship police are getting worse these days.
Where will it end..

Last edited:
To the OP: sounds like a cool project bike. Keep us informed on the progress, and pics when you can take them. Lots of older bikes get ignored or cast aside, when a little TLC is all they need to get them back on the road - and stay on the road for many enjoyable years to come.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

John Alfred Prestwich Industires

Yep...very cool engines. Up there with the Matchless and Vincents for cool Brit V twins.

Funny you cannot use that term to describe Japanese, but I am sure you could use any of the derogatory terms for Italians or Germans that came from the same era and it won't get blocked.

The popular culture changes as time passes.

During WWII bond and scrap metal drives often included language that would not be acceptable today. They often made the claim that by buying war bonds or donating your pots and pans that you could, from your living room couch, kill ###'s in the Pacific just like the Marines.

I have not had any issues with the Dyna ignition on my old Suzuki. You do need to make sure you have the correct coils (Green IIRC). I have mine wired with a relay to bypass the old undersized wiring. Definitely has some spark, much better than original points and coils.

Interesting. Keep in mind that I am deferring to his knowledge for now. He said that Dyna stuff is a love/hate relationship. Evidently some people can't get them to last. We went to a KZ forum and a guy did a back to back to back comparison with points, a Dyna set up and a later OE electronic ignition. The Dyna required so much juice that the battery would discharge at idle with the light on. The OE points and electronic ignitions didn't.

Not saying they're junk, just not sure I want to mess with it.

I bet it was 10w40. I had a Suzuki GS550L of that vintage that used it and was happy all day long with Rotella T3.

Sadly it was rode hard and put away wet before I got it and it developed compression issues so I had to get rid of it. Was not worth rebuilding the engine to me. Some guy bought it as a parts bike.

Well as promised- here is a pic of my new toy...
20150719_192020_zpsnamzb3dd.jpg

It's got some minor wiring issues that need dolled up, I need to do something about the ignition and replace those terrible bars! The guy I'm getting it from has a seat he is going to give me and a stock bar. The header and pipe is going back to him, but he gave me this one- not sure who made it, as there are no tags, stamps or I.D. plates on it. Can anybody help?

20150719_191957_zpsecvmaiyv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back