Max Life 10w40 in '08 VW 2.5l 180k ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'08 VW 2.5l 5cyl calls for 5w40 vw502.xx. Car has 180k and leaks some oil. Is there really a problem with running Max Life 10w40? I know it is not 5w40, nor is it VW 502 spec'd, but does it really matter any more on a car with 180k on the odo?

The 2.5 is not a very demanding engine, from what I understand, so I don't really see a problem, other than it being slightly on the thick side for a typical Detroit winter.

The car has been on T6 for about the last two years. Prior to that, it never had any consistency. The T6 requires either 2 gallon purchases, or a gallon and 2 quarts to get the correct amount of oil. I tried to use M1 European 0w40 and it went through oil faster than I've ever seen it. I figured this time around I'd throw some ML 10w40 in it. It has a lot of miles on it now and the car is starting to have more problems than I care to deal with. The ML is easy, not too expensive, and at least it is getting a 40w oil. The engine does leak oil, and I'm sure it is starting to see some wear so I don't think the jump from 5 to 10 is going to make as much of a difference. We will see how it does once it gets colder out. Maybe I'll switch back for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back