VW 502 00 and API SN PLUS?

Hi. First post here. Running a small VW with 1.2TSI (CJZD) and looking into oils for it. I plan on keeping the car for a very long time. I'm in no position to do a vehicle change for quite some time. To be honest, I'm just wanting to be done with the installment payments as they're killing me in this current economy. :p

VW 502 00 approval is required for this engine.

After much looking around I've decided I will be going with Ravenol VST 5W40 which is a fairly expensive oil locally.
However, I am need of less expensive oil as an interim oil change until I fix a small leak coming from my oil separator, but not in the mood for dumping out an expensive oil. I'll only be able to resolve the leak in a 2-3 months time. (PS: Thank you VW for clearly seeing that leak and ignoring it just before my warranty expired)

So my local parts supplier currently has Shell Helix HX8:

This variant is a API SN PLUS rated oil. That seems to be for counteracting LSPI in small direct-injection turbocharged engines just like the 1.2TSI.
However there seem to be several variants of HX8 and I can't determine if this HX8 with SN PLUS is actually VW 502 00 approved.
There is no information on the Shell site like there is for their other HX8 and Ultra products. And although they indicate it might not be available, it is actually available at a reputable parts store. A number of online stores have indicated it has VW 502 00 approval, but I'd rather get official word on that.

Does anyone know if this oil is VW 502 00 approved?

Over on the Ravenol side of things I found DXG which seems to get some great feedback here.
This is ILSAC GF6A and API SN PLUS. The sales blurb is listing things, like no contribution to piston ring build up and targeting LSPI, that have my interest given this engine and the fact I hope to keep it healthy for many more miles. But DXG is clearly not a VW 502 00 thing.

Are there actually any oils that are API SN PLUS (for LSPI prevention, etc) which will work for VW 502 00?

I have a 2018 Jaguar with a 2.0 Turbo & it required ONLY Jaguar approved oil on it. I said BALONEY. I did an OCI recently, poured Valvoline EP on it & the car loved it.
FYI : I do 5K OCI. I say NO to Extended OCI

Last edited:
EA211 CJZD is a nice little engine. It should be way less prone to issues than
its EA111 predecessor.
Ravenol DSG 5W-30 doesn't have any VW approval and that's for a reason
which is (at least) its lowish HTHS. Both VW 502 00 and vw 504 00 require a
minimum HTHS of 3,5 mPas.
Hard to imagine there are actually several different Shell Helix HX8 5W-40.
See my sig > VW approvals. You'll see that VW is listing Shell HX8 5W-40 on
their official VW 502 00 list dated February 2022.
Why care for API anyway? All that matters is the VW approval. I'd go for either
VW 502 00 or even better VW 504 00. Both Ravenol VST and Shell HX8 will serve
you well. This datasheet also says VW 502 00 (it's German, 'Freigabe' = approval):

SHELL HX8 5W-40

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Jaguar with a 2.0 Turbo & it required ONLY Jaguar approved oil on it. I said BALONEY. I did an OCI recently, poured Valvoline EP on it & the car loved it.
FYI : I do 5K OCI. I say NO to Extended OCI
It's good to know that a car loving an oil is an acceptable substitute for a manufacturer approval, especially a baloney one.

Makes things easier all around.

its EA111 predecessor.
you well. This datasheet also says VW 502 00 (it's German, 'Freigabe' = approval):

SHELL HX8 5W-40
100% on all points here.

It's good to know that a car loving an oil is an acceptable substitute for a manufacturer approval, especially a baloney one.

Makes things easier all around.
Yes Sir, I been doing my own OCI for the past 45+ years & I'm 65YO. I know the sound of my car's engine with a good oil in it. It's like playing the guitar, I can immediately tell if the guitar is out of tune or not, note for note. Sorry if you might consider this as a brag, but this is the way I am. ;)

Ravenol DSG DXG 5W-30 doesn't have any VW approval and that's for a reason

Sorry for the typo. 😇

On a side note, you shouldn't miss to consider this offering of Shell ZA:

Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40 comes with BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW 502 00,
VW 505 00, Porsche A40 and several other approvals.

Yes Sir, I been doing my own OCI for the past 45+ years & I'm 65YO. I know the sound of my car's engine with a good oil in it. It's like playing the guitar, I can immediately tell if the guitar is out of tune or not, note for note. Sorry if you might consider this as a brag, but this is the way I am. ;)
If it works for you, why not? Right?

Thanks everyone.
Too many nuances to all these different oils.

The 2 PDFs for HX8 5W-40 shows how confusing it can get for noobs like myself.

It’s really pretty easy with manufacturer approvals unless the blender is trying to obfuscate. Using an approved oil list from the automaker helps. Otherwise just see if the oil has the approval or not.

Sorry for the typo. 😇

On a side note, you shouldn't miss to consider this offering of Shell ZA:

Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40 comes with BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW 502 00,
VW 505 00, Porsche A40 and several other approvals.
I looked all over that site and couldn't find this stuff! You have better site nav skills than I do. Thank you

The Helix Ultra 5W-40 listed there also has these ratings. Might it actually be a better option than the HX8?
I think I will grab Ultra then if they have stock.

That then leaves me with my long term oil decision. Either the Ravenol VST or the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Two equally rated oils, but they look like 2 very different manufacturing processes. Is this going to come down to GTL vs PAO? Have been through a number of threads here where that topic came up and can never tell which one winds up being the better option.

Either way, all 3 oils then would be perfectly suitable for this engine since I now know they all have the same VW 502 00 approval.

its EA111 predecessor.

SHELL HX8 5W-40

Thank you. Learning as I go. I work with software, so everything is 0 and 1... oil is sooo analogue ... I can't compute.
At least I seem to have come to the right place for this information.

Yes, nice little engine. But "sleepy"
They do things weird on this engine. It has more punch in cruise control than through the pedal. It seems all bets are off when it comes to boost control when I engage cruise control. :p

Why would you go for VW 504 00 if running fixed intervals of around 8000km (5000miles)? Should I be going with a 5W-30 weight compared to 5W-40?

Why would you go for VW 504 00 if running fixed intervals of around 8000km (5000miles)? Should I be going with a 5W-30 weight compared to 5W-40?
Manufacturer approvals specify is a minimum HT/HS which results in a grade and this makes grades irrelevant for the most part. HT/HS is a better and more descriptive indicator of how the oil performs in the engine. There is no practical difference between a -30 grade and a -40 grade when both have the same VW approval.

With today's low sulfur fuels there isn't the need for higher SAPS oils. Therefore the recommendation for a VW 504 00 oil.

Thank you.
I think I will aim for Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 or get the Ultra ECT C3 5W-30.
It will be more readily available than the Ravenol (single store over here) should I need a top up. Not a fan of mixing different oils.

Ask the shop(s) if they can physically check if the VW502 approval is stated on the back side label.

I looked all over that site and couldn't find this stuff! You have better site nav skills than I do. Thank you

SHELL HELIX ULTRA 0W-40 ZA VW 502 00.jpg

Pretty much on top of that site. If it doesn't appear use the arrows on the right.

The Helix Ultra 5W-40 listed there also has these ratings. Might it actually be a better option than the HX8?
I think I will grab Ultra then if they have stock.

Hard to safely say if or how much it's better, however 'Ultra' promises a step up. 'Pure Plus
Technology' equals to using major content on GTL base oil along with an advanced additive
package. What's the difference in price in South Africa?

That then leaves me with my long term oil decision. Either the Ravenol VST or the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Two equally rated oils, but they look like 2 very different manufacturing processes. Is this going to come down to GTL vs PAO?

Yes, exactly. VST uses group 4 (PAO), perhaps with some group 5 (ester and/or AN) while
Helix Ultra uses mainly GTL (so-called group '3+') perhaps with some regular group 3. A
combination of group 4 & 5 is more expensive to produce but often but not necessarily
yields lower pourpoints, lower Noack numbers and/or higher flashpoints. For obvious
reasons all that rarely is or isn't required to achieve mentioned manufacturer approvals.
Again, what's your local difference in price?

Have been through a number of threads here where that topic came up and can never tell which one winds up being the better option.
Either way, all 3 oils then would be perfectly suitable for this engine since I now know they all have the same VW 502 00 approval.

Everything approved is perfectly suitable, appropriate, good enough. Btw, what's the sump
capacity, ~4 l? Are Mann filters available in SA?

Back