S&H Green Stamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
So U found a ton of binders with some S&H green stamps. Does anyone remember the days of these and the stuff you could use them for? I even found some catalogs with the stuff you could get. I believe some countries still use them in different variants or colors.

Thanks for the reply and memory sir
wink.gif

Remember my parents getting a homemade ice cream freezer with them. Am sure they got other stuff, but I don't remember any details. My mother was in charge of the stamp books (S&H and Top Value).

In the UK it was Green shield stamps, and later, S&H Pink stamps.

As a kid I used to like looking through the gift catalog to see what we 'might' get.
There were even Cars there!

The most we ever got was a set of coffee mugs.

oh my, memory lane is right!

i remember collecting those as a kid every time we went to our grocery store, i saved those up to buy my first bb gun!

Last edited:
With competition inflation set in. Stores would offer double or triple stamps.

One supermarket started offering Sextuple stamps on Wednesdays!

Which kind of intrigued me as a young lad. ;-)

Originally Posted By: Leo99
S&H is still in business and the stamps are still valuable.

http://www.greenpoints.com/info/inf_help_faquse.asp

Now THAT comes as a surprise!

I remember as a kid when the stamp dispensers were above every cash register (the kind with keys and a skilled operator, not a barcode scanner!) at the grocery store. Once you got your total, the cashier would spool out the correct number of stamps. My folks and grandparents used them a little- my recollection of the green stamp "stores" you could go to to redeem them was that most of the products were fairly cheesy, with a few exceptions. Kinda like Harbor Freight for the 1960s... :)

I remember the cashier using the 'sweat' from a gallon of milk to wet the stamps and place them in the customer's booklet. This was in the early 1980's.

I remember them well-my mother used to collect and use them.

The small town mom and pop grocery store where she traded still had the sign out front that read "Sperry & Hutchinson" Green Trading Stamps-it was from the time before they shortened it to S&H. At some point it was replaced with the "We Give S&H Green Stamps" sign. I'm guessing the old sign would be worth a fair bit if it was still around today.

In the 1970's that store went out of business and mom started shopping at the larger chain grocery store which had their own version of the stamps.

I recall one IGA had them, and my parents traded some in the late 80s or maybe even early 90s there. I forget how exactly... I think they had a catalog, and the. The store did the handling and receiving of the item.

It appears that 26 books or more can still be traded in.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I remember the cashier using the 'sweat' from a gallon of milk to wet the stamps and place them in the customer's booklet. This was in the early 1980's.

That is so funny, I too remember a number of checkers doing the same at I believe the Jewel, Dominicks, (chicago) Alpha Beta (CA), and
Pathmark (DE) (1970s and 80s)....perhaps it was a procedure suggested by S&H.

I remember the Pat Boone song
'You better go home speedy Gonzalez ' one line went
"Hey, Rosita-come quick, down at the canteena
They giving green stamps with tequila"

I grew up on a dairy farm and, believe it or not, our cow feed supplier gave out green stamps. The redemption store was about a half hour away from where I grew up in a town that we always went to get groceries, so mom would just drop me off at the store. As a kid, I got my first baseball glove (that wasn't a hand-me-down) from the S&H Green Stamp store. I played centerfield the whole time I was growing up, but I played it wearing a first-baseman's mit. Why? Because that was the only glove that the S&H Green Stamp store had in inventory the day that I went it to get the glove.
It was a good quality glove and I still have it.
I haven't seen any S&H retailers for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back