I should have listened to my Mother

My Mother was a pianist. like concert stuff, the notes on her music sheets looked like foreign figures from Egypt when your a kid..Mom was born in 1922 and could play anything for hours on end. She loved the music from the 40s and knew them well and could play every Christmas song by ear. She didn't use sheet music much. She tried to teach me.Mom was not a teacher, but Lord have mercy, she could play that Piano and the Organ. When I would practice at age 9 or 10 she would yell from the kitchen the note I just played was wrong needless to say I got caught up in the folk music era of the early 60s...Kingston trio and all that, now days my old hands ache some but I can still play the guitar, but not on the level my Mom had with the piano. she had the talent end of story, maybe you have one to add?

My Mom was born in the same ear(1924) and she love the theater/live shows as well as the movies.
When we were small children(1950s), she would take us to see(so she could see them too), what are today, the Classics.
She was a stay-at-home MOM and didn't get a baby sitter so that she could go out, she'd take us with her.

Mom would take us to the local theater to see the big shows that came to town. I remember seeing Fiddler on the Roof with Zero Mostel. Mom saw many more in NYC such as:
The Sound of Music
Westside Story
Peter Pan
Bye-Bye Birdie
and on & on
PLUS we saw all of the Disney films at the movie theater.

... the notes on her music sheets looked like foreign figures from Egypt when your a kid...........She tried to teach me.Mom was not a teacher, but Lord have mercy, she could play that Piano and the Organ. When I would practice at age 9 or 10 she would yell from the kitchen the note I just played was wrong.
It sure gets easier, though, if you can read sheet music. I hate trying to learn songs I don't have sheet music for. I play keyboards with a group of similarly-low talented adults and while tabs and chord charts for guitar are readily available all over the place, it usually isn't so for keys.

My mom had a piano when I was a kid. I took lessons on it but it occurred to me eventually I never heard my mom play it, not once. I don't know why.

My mom and sisters can play music. I always chose to play with old engine parts instead. I'd still rather tune a motorcycle than a piano, but I like listening to them play songs. I guess I know 2 songs on the harmonica but I don't really count that because it's really easy to play the harmonica.

I grew up with zero musical talent. Parents had none either. But they did listen to great music on the stereo. Sinatra, Bing, Perry, Dino, etc.

Back