Finally got to drive my Camaro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm not the biggest fan of this body style of Camaros, but when they're really clean and in good shape with some nice wheels, they're pretty darn nice.

Yes, they are either a "hate or love 'em" style, with the haterzz calling them catfish (or jaundiced catfish if they have foggy headlight lenses LOL ).
But many people stop me and say that they like this style better than the 5th (and now 6th gen as well) gen 'retro' style.

To each their own I guess?
(I also like the 5th/6th gens done right, with the right wheels/tires/suspension, a la Z28.
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
"Low Key" 3" exhaust

My catback system is also stealth looking; Mufflex 3.5" 304 stainless tubing/system, large Magnaflow muffler (to quiet things down some), and a single, also left exiting, 4" Gibson turndown tucked up so that it can barely be seen with the car on the ground.

The whole thing from the over the axle pipe/muffler back is painted with that satin black VHT 900* caliper paint, to make it even less noticeable.
wink.gif

Is that a Trick Flow/TA/Summit/etc. diff cover on there??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Nice work!
thumbsup2.gif

Most on the f body/LSx sites will just tell people who want to do this swap that it is just NOT worth the time/effort/money, and to just try to find an unmolested/not abused LS1 V-8 4th gen instead.

Great to see that you actually proved them wrong!
smile.gif

If I was able to find a Clean V8 car, That is what I would own...Without a doubt! When I was doing research I probably read ALL those threads, Twice! Thanks for the compliment.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
My catback system is also stealth looking; Mufflex 3.5" 304 stainless tubing/system, large Magnaflow muffler (to quiet things down some), and a single, also left exiting, 4" Gibson turndown tucked up so that it can barely be seen with the car on the ground.

The whole thing from the over the axle pipe/muffler back is painted with that satin black VHT 900* caliper paint, to make it even less noticeable.
wink.gif

Is that a Trick Flow/TA/Summit/etc. diff cover on there??

Yes, It's the Trick Flow version.

Thanks for the pics, I like it! Kind of a sleeper since it looks like a V6 Camaro. May want to polish the headlights then protect them with some sealant. Lots of kits out there but you can even use toothpaste to make them look better.

Reading this thread is like trying to read ancient greek, but a picture is worth a thousand words...very impressive project!

Once it is up and running post a video on youtube and link it...would love to hear how it sounds.

Gonna name this beast?

Congrats!

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Reading this thread is like trying to read ancient greek, but a picture is worth a thousand words...very impressive project!

Once it is up and running post a video on youtube and link it...would love to hear how it sounds.

Gonna name this beast?

Congrats!

I'm a Mechanic, Not a Novelist.....LOL. Never was good in English class.
I have many pictures of the process, I didn't think anybody would care.

Pictures of the engine/trans ready to go in the car.

Have about 5,600 miles on the car so far, Few issues to report...

The BCM had a cracked/cold solder joint where the Retained Accessory Relay solders to the circuit board, Flowed some solder over it using an iron, Been working ever since!

The right front speaker is blown, All new CDT speakers from Kee Audio in June, With a stock Amp...No way I have overdriven them too much! Cannot get ahold of Kee Audio by phone....

Gas gauge reads backwards & the Service Vehicle lamp is on, No known fixes for these because I am running a '04 Truck PCM, Going to live with the Fuel Gauge & remove the SVL bulb in the cluster. My Tuner did get the A/C request to work by loading a 2004 Express Van operating system into my PCM.

Also had my Tuner do a custom 87 octane tune with HP-Tuners & a Wide-Band O2...What a DIFFERENCE that made over a "base" Tune!!!!

Got the 245/50ZR16 BFG G-Force/Comp 2's put on, They are a little rough riding in concert with the Bilsteins, But have good traction & grip. I had planned to put bigger diameter sway bars on....But with the tires & dampers, I am happy with the stock Sways.

Final fluid checks before the tire shop.

4L60E build details....

What I like most about the car is the 4L60E that I built for it, Shift are Crisp & Clean, The Sonnax shift kit produces a real clean 2-3 shift, Way better than the Trans-Go shift kits I used in the past.

Started with a 2004 truck core, Installed a "High Speed" Reaction Planet, Has a oil deflector pressed on for better oiling at high road speeds.

Used a Sonnax "Smart Shell" to replace the weak stock Reaction Sun Shell. Splined area reinforced with a heat threated steel collar, And heat treated lugs, Pic comparing the Sonnax shell to a stock unit.

Upgraded to a Sonnax "Wide" Sun Gear bushing, The stock bushing is a little over half the width.

Upgraded the Input Planet to a 2008 & up 5-pinion 4L70E unit.

Dropped in a Borg Warner 29 element dual cage forward sprag, Stronger than the single cage stock SKF sprag.

Reconditioned the Reverse/Input Drum with a green scotchbrite pad to deglaze the 2/4 Band surface, Installed new bushings aswell.

Installed a Sonnax Input Drum Sleeve kit, You press a steel sleeve over the aluminum drum to reinforce where the Input Shaft is splined into the drum. All engine torque in all ranges is passed through the splines in the Input Drum.
The Sleeve is the darker ring around the Drum.

More later.

My 68 year old neighbor has a 97 Camaro parked in his garage with 27,000 miles on the odo. Says it was special ordered with the Corvette engine(whatever that is) and will do 140mph. Original tires. He takes it out on backroads ever so often for a little "blowing out."

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
My 68 year old neighbor has a 97 Camaro parked in his garage with 27,000 miles on the odo. Says it was special ordered with the Corvette engine(whatever that is) and will do 140mph. Original tires. He takes it out on backroads ever so often for a little "blowing out."

They all have some variety of Corvette engine...His car is an LT1 car and will do every bit of 140. Sitting kills the Opti-spark in those things.
The LT1 went into the Corvette in 1992, the Camaro/Trans Am got it in 1993. The LS1 went into the Vette in 1997, the Camaro/Trans Am got it in 1998.

So he may have ordered it but he was getting and LT1 unless it is an LT4 car. Is it a 6 speed with a red intake?
hqdefault.jpg

What kind of power are you making with the 5.3? Should run pretty dang good.

Not sure I understand the fuel gage issue. Can't you get a different sending unit or a tune?

Tranny sounds really nice!

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
What kind of power are you making with the 5.3? Should run pretty dang good.

Not sure I understand the fuel gage issue. Can't you get a different sending unit or a tune?

Tranny sounds really nice!

Didn't put it on the rollers....Dyno was booked that Saturday, My tuner is real good at Street Wide Band Tuning, Feels as good as a stock '01/'02 LS1 car. That's good enough for now. I have a LQ4 6.0L long block that I am going to build over the next year..or two. Plan is.... Forged pistons, Arp main & rod bolts, L92/LS3 heads, LS3 intake & throttle body, Comp Cams custom grind (228/230 duration, 590-600 lift), Brian Tooley springs.

I'm running a '03-'07 "Blue/Green" Truck PCM, It will not take a 40E-240F OHM gauge sender Change or Segment Swap, The Truck the PCM came out of ONLY recognizes it as 240E-40F OHM. Tried EFI-Live & HP-Tuners. It's not like it doesn't work, It just works backwards, I find it handy, Keep it full & tell everyone it's low on fuel!
If I was running a '99-'02 "Blue/Red" PCM I could simply do a 4th Gen F-Body OS swap.

I have thought about the Sender, You know as a fellow 4th Gen F-body owner...These tanks are not easy to remove! I will cut a hole before I pull the Tank.

Now I understand. Makes sense.

Ha! Just cut the hole...been there done that.
smile.gif

Stock LS1 power is good. Your 6.0 build sounds awesome. Really want to do a 6.0 in my car, but it runs 11's now and does fine so I will wait until it needs it.

If you have had a 5.3 you may not believe the difference switching to a 6.0. Even the 5.7 is down on torque to the big fella.

It feels much bigger than 700 cc suggests...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Stock LS1 power is good. Your 6.0 build sounds awesome. Really want to do a 6.0 in my car, but it runs 11's now and does fine so I will wait until it needs it.

Same here.

IF it ever needs it, mine is going to get a Mast Motorsport built crate LS3, with Magnum/TR6060 internals in the stock T56 case behind it.
smile.gif

The problem is that these things run FOREVER (contrary to popular import nameplate biased opinions on here), so the only way I will get the above combo into the car is if i save up for it and do it, and then sell the stock LS1 to recoup some coin.
wink.gif
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back