The Corolla Prizms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I don't know why Uhauls website says that. I've rented several car hauler trailers from them and they just give you the trailer and you're good to go. I needed to tow my moms car (SUV) and Uhauls website says you can't do that, so I told them it was a Honda Civic and they rented me the trailer lol.

Later that day I also towed a 74 Chevy Nova, and used a different car to pull the trailer!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I wonder how "buzzy" the 3 speed would be on the highway.

The Prism was actually pretty smooth. I owned a '96 with the 3 speed Auto. Did a 130 mi/day commute in it for over a year. I traded it off right at 100k on a brand new Taurus because it spent about as much time in the shop as it did on the road.

The previous generation was the "buzzy" one (Nova.) Drove one of those on the same commute. Pretty good car but the ride left to be desired.

Originally Posted By: supton
Also I think it's good that you found an owner that admits about the oil consumption. I'm sure lots of people have no idea because they take their car into a quick lube for an oil change when due and never check it inbetween. I'd rather the owner tell me about it.

One of the ones I am eyeing is an auction car, guy says he bougt to flip. So that one has no history, not sure what to make of that.

Found a different one, but it is 200 miles away so I'm not sure I will bother--UHauls websight says they want to inspect both the tow and towed vehicle? Also the owner put in tint, and I mght have to strip that out (need to check, but last I knew NH did not like).

Maybe a greyhound bus to nearest town and have the guy meet you there? Plan for a return ticket just in case.

Did the 97' and older ones burn oil too?

Yup. My neighbor's 2001 did too. And my sisters 2002 also, though not nearly as bad.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
The 4A-FE or 7A-FE are bulletproof. The only problem I had was with a cracked exhaust manifold, a common problem.

My 4A-FE had a cracked manifold. My local yards are full of Corollas so a replacement was super simple to find, and install. The one I pulled 4-5 years ago is still going strong.

Well, let's say it has 200k and burns 1 quart per 1,000 miles. It can't burn much faster, if it took 200k to burn at that speed it'll probably take another 75k-100k to get down to 1 quart per 500 miles.

Maybe don't ever change it, just a new filter every 15k.

Mine goes through a quart every 200-350 miles or so, give or take, depending how much of that is highway (much higher consumption). This is on used 0w-20 M1 EP that drains out of my Mazda3 after 5000 miles. Using thicker oils (15w-40, 20w-50, whatever) does slow consumption down noticeably, but not dramatically. I throw on a new filter every 6 months, 8 months, whatever. Whenever it seems like its been a long time.

I wonder how "buzzy" the 3 speed would be on the highway.

Its buzzier than a 4 speed for sure, but its not bad at all really, as long as the engine mounts are ok, and many in this era are *not*. They are cheap off Ebay and the front and side mounts are simple to replace. The rear is tricky, you'll have to lower the subframe down an inch or so, and jack the engine up as far as you can, then it comes out with some mild effort. Good news is its almost always the passenger front that goes bad, and if it is, things can get EXTREMEMLY buzzy, at almost every speed. I'm talking teeth-cracking buzzy. But its an easy fix.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Also I think it's good that you found an owner that admits about the oil consumption. I'm sure lots of people have no idea because they take their car into a quick lube for an oil change when due and never check it inbetween. I'd rather the owner tell me about it.

One of the ones I am eyeing is an auction car, guy says he bougt to flip. So that one has no history, not sure what to make of that.

Found a different one, but it is 200 miles away so I'm not sure I will bother--UHauls websight says they want to inspect both the tow and towed vehicle? Also the owner put in tint, and I mght have to strip that out (need to check, but last I knew NH did not like).

Maybe a greyhound bus to nearest town and have the guy meet you there? Plan for a return ticket just in case.

Not a bad idea really. Test drive, make sale. Go home, get plates, come back.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My 97' automatic Camry got 23-24 mpg commuting around town with a little highway.

At 80mph in the mountains last summer going up to Montana I had the cruise control set and it got 33 mpg average. With A/C

My best tank was when I went 60-65 mph no cruise control or A/C, plenty of mountains and it was a 210 mile round trip I got 36.72 mpg. I probably could have squeezed it to 37.

What was funny is the EPA rated it to 28 mpg highway.

I know the procedure has changed, but I wonder if tires today have less drag than in years past? Pretty big jump over the "old" EPA method.

My Taurus used to be able to pull 34 on the highway and it was only rated for 26 or 27 I believe.

Weird. Not what I would expect.

Tdbo & quint, what was your city/combined/highway gas mileage?

I got about 33 in mixed driving. Straight highway about 37.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

Not a bad idea really. Test drive, make sale. Go home, get plates, come back.

My state sells a temporary 3 day pass for such situations. If he's in a different state you might check there too if yours doesn't.

Tdbo & quint, what was your city/combined/highway gas mileage?

Low to mid 30's combined.... when it was new, on the highway high 30's. My son drives the car now and he usually heads right to the highway for wherever he is going, so I'm not 100% what the city mileage is.

Wow, I thought the 3 speeds got bad mileage on the highway? I can't imagine what a 4-speed would get

Don't forget, the engine is being asked to do the same work. Just at a lower rpm. Dropping engine rpm by 20% will not mean a 20% gain in FE.

Don't forget, the engine is being asked to do the same work. Just at a lower rpm. Dropping engine rpm by 20% will not mean a 20% gain in FE.

Yes. A lot of people make the mistake that fuel consumption is linear to RPM. It is not.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Gonna go look at this one tomorrow. I talked to the guy and he said he is flexible on the price. Looks like brand new.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5160555687.html

If you could get that car to Milwaukee, Madison or Minneapolis you could double your money or more in hours.
Yeah no rust here in the desert!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
211K miles

Does it need a clutch, struts, bushings, etc... ?
Not sure, will see in about 6 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back