should I expect this tranny to die soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If it dies it won't be because of the new ATF, even though many people would have you believe otherwise. Good luck!

+1 on this. New ATF never hurts a transmission.

You might want to add a Magnefine inline filter, its sure to catch a bunch of crud that will be cleaned up by new ATF.

Yes, I will be adding an inline filter. Wish I had one last night to pit on.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I don't have a dog in this fight, and my blood runs Ford blue, but the Windstar tranny has got one of the absolute worst reputations in the industry. I've seen many not make it to 100K. I'm just preparing you for what will happen sooner or later. Probably sooner.

Terrible, just terrible lol. I didn't know that. That's very bad news. I guess ill prepare to fork over some cash hopefully no time too soon.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's living on borrowed time.

Hear, hear...by my reckoning, its got at least another 80,000 miles left - if driven gently.

Lol, I like the sounds of that much better. I'm gonna go with your story
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
How many miles are on the tranny?
Is there any issues with the tranny prior to the ATF change?

I don't think anyone can predict the actual outcome of the tranny(13 yrs old) with the new ATF. The magnet and filter may have done it's job well. Personally, I don't think you have any worries!
smile.gif

That's what i was hoping. Since the fluid that drained out over night was much cleaner than what was in the pan, the filter and magnet at least helped alot

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
What brand fluid did you put in it?

I added 7 maxlife qts and 2 supertech merc v

Originally Posted By: Kuato
1/2" of fuzz at 134k sounds normal to me, and I have opened up used trannies from 50-145k.

Since it is shifting fine, just drive it. Automatic transmissions are designed for clean fluid.

But fluid cannot substitute for failed parts.

That's good to know cuz I only ever changed the filters on my own vehicals regularly. So I never seen metal wear like that till now. Ya just drive is all she can do. Guess we'll see how long it lives

I wish I thought to snap a pic or 2. Anyway I will put an inline filter on when I can get up there to do so. At some point I think I should drop the pan again and see what the internal filter looks like. Probably before I put the inline filter on. This will tell me if the clutches etc.were sludged and the new fluid is cleaning. Also if by chance it is that the filter needs changed again. I don't think this will be the case but its easy enough to do. Might think about putting a drain plug in the pan too as it doesn't got one.
All this is assuming it lives. I'll try to remember to take pics if it happens to look a mess.

These had issues with the splines of the torque converter shearing off. Ford was reimbursing owners who had issues.

I think it will be just fine.

By your account, it was working fine, save for a 'slight' possible shudder..but no severe problems. You put in new fluid, and now it shifts the same, just a bit better.

Seems like the new fluid perked it up a bit, and it's back to normal!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I think it will be just fine.

By your account, it was working fine, save for a 'slight' possible shudder..but no severe problems. You put in new fluid, and now it shifts the same, just a bit better.

Seems like the new fluid perked it up a bit, and it's back to normal!

It's still shifting well and no shutter return. So u ay be right
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back