Ordering my TV bulb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, my eyes are starting to hurt from all the looking....

I have an old Samsung DLT TV, which uses those bulbs you have to buy. I am kinda amazed it lasted this long (TV was built in 2007) so I am pretty sure it went over it's 4-6k life limit. ( I think it helped I kept it well vented and nearly dust free.)

I want to buy a decent bulb, but I really don't want to pay a crazy amount for an old TV either. Though I love that fact it gives great picture quality, and I would like to keep it going.

I've been told a) Buy the best (140+) B) A decent replacement that uses a phillips bulb (50-60) and of course C) Get the almost cheapest you can find.

Also been told that regardless of which you buy, Venting it and cleaning will extend the life of the bulb (Must have worked for me)

I've looked all over (like ebay, newegg, different sites), and would like a little help to figure which one would be the good choice...

When the sales guy tried to sell my mom a DLP TV (she, unfortunately, went with the old CRT rear projection type) around that same time period he said putting a new bulb in is like getting a brand new TV. I'm not sure what can actually wear out in a DLP set. It's not like a CRT (which does wear out) or an LCD panel (backlighting is what wears out first).

But, I'm not super knowledgeable.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
When the sales guy tried to sell my mom a DLP TV (she, unfortunately, went with the old CRT rear projection type) around that same time period he said putting a new bulb in is like getting a brand new TV. I'm not sure what can actually wear out in a DLP set. It's not like a CRT (which does wear out) or an LCD panel (backlighting is what wears out first).

But, I'm not super knowledgeable.

Brings the brightness back I would guess. The bulb really does make a difference.....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I've been told a) Buy the best (140+) B) A decent replacement that uses a phillips bulb (50-60) and of course C) Get the almost cheapest you can find.

I highly recommend buying a quality bulb like Philips or Osram. You pay a little more for them, but they are well worth it.

The cheaper versions are a gamble. I only know one person that bought a cheap one and got decent life out of it and even then, it wasn't as bright as the OEM. Most of the cheapies don't even have enough output when they are new, and the brightness drops off quickly, or the bulb just stops working. There is no money saved when you have to replace it again in a short period of time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zeus33
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I highly recommend buying a quality bulb like Philips or Osram. You pay a little more for them, but they are well worth it.

The cheaper versions are a gamble. I only know one person that bought a cheap one and got decent life out of it and even then, it wasn't as bright as the OEM. Most of the cheapies don't even have enough output when they are new, and the brightness drops off quickly, or the bulb just stops working. There is no money saved when you have to replace it again in a short period of time.

Yeah, I'm starting to notice that.....I did find one site that says that mine was osram. It's a 100 bucks, but if it lasts a while it would be worth it....

The only wear items in a DLP set are the lamp and the motor that spins the colour wheel (if it's not a 3 chip projector unit).

Like anything, discharge lamps have a defined life span, but on/off cycles eat into that disproportionately.

A lamp that is run all day will last longer than a lamp that is turned on and off 3 times a day. Both the initial strike and the thermal cycles eat into the lamp life.

These things use the same lamps that are used universally across the entertainment industry in those high intensity movable light units, and after running hundreds of them over the years the ones that last the longest are the ones that are left on for the longest periods.

Buy a name brand, keep the vents and cooling fans clean and replace it before the lamp fails catastrophically. It's amazing how much internal damage these can cause when the lamp explodes.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
The only wear items in a DLP set are the lamp and the motor that spins the colour wheel (if it's not a 3 chip projector unit).

Like anything, discharge lamps have a defined life span, but on/off cycles eat into that disproportionately.

A lamp that is run all day will last longer than a lamp that is turned on and off 3 times a day. Both the initial strike and the thermal cycles eat into the lamp life.

These things use the same lamps that are used universally across the entertainment industry in those high intensity movable light units, and after running hundreds of them over the years the ones that last the longest are the ones that are left on for the longest periods.

Buy a name brand, keep the vents and cooling fans clean and replace it before the lamp fails catastrophically. It's amazing how much internal damage these can cause when the lamp explodes.

Yep, been good about venting it and keeping it clean. Amazed this bulb lasted as long as it did! (thinking well over the 6k life it is supposed to have)

The only thing is that it did get turned off more than it should have (family tv), and the bulb did die (why it tries to keep turning itself back on) And the bulb really never dimmed much either. Hoping it didn't hurt it....

i had a rear projection LCD HDTV for like 12 years and went through 4 bulbs IIRC. they don't last that long in panasonics, 3000-5000 hrs. the good news is they are very cheap now, as most people got rid of those sets. last time i bought OEM for $35, they used to retail for $250-300. previous to that i was buying bare bulbs for 50-100. philips lasted a bit longer than osram. the non-OEM bulbs were a bit dimmer too. but, don't buy no-brand cheap bulbs from china, they don't last.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
i had a rear projection LCD HDTV for like 12 years and went through 4 bulbs IIRC. they don't last that long in panasonics, 3000-5000 hrs. the good news is they are very cheap now, as most people got rid of those sets. last time i bought OEM for $35, they used to retail for $250-300. previous to that i was buying bare bulbs for 50-100. philips lasted a bit longer than osram. the non-OEM bulbs were a bit dimmer too. but, don't buy no-brand cheap bulbs from china, they don't last.

Yeah, I've been looking at some phillips ones on amazon. Seem tto run closer to 100 bucks, but after seeing how long this one lasted, kinda hard not to spend the money for one.....

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
philips lasted a bit longer than osram.

sorry, i had it backwards. i just looked at my notes and osram ($90) lasted 3500 hrs while philips ($50) lasted only 2400. however, there was a top mark on the philips bulb and it could not be installed in that position due to the housing limitations, so it was not 100% compatible.

buy just the bulb and transplant into your housing.
phillips,osram.
no "compatible or "for phillips,osram"ect.

Looks like it is going to be one of the 89.99 Phillips bulbs ordered...hoping this will work.....
t

Wife doesn't like the old CRT.....

What is the size of this 7 year old TV?

My cousin and I just talked about this when her 7 year old bulb tv went out. SHe was looking at replacing parts for 99 dollars.

This was right around black friday so we bought a 50 inch LED television for 350 dollars. (HEB Grocery store)

Now I see that you can get a 4k television every day for 400 dollars. (Newegg)

I have a 50 inch LED television that was 280 dollars, and a 40 inch tv that was 149 dollars. (Newegg, Best Buy)

Everybody likes to fix something but that doesn't make sense to me.

Not even accounting for energy savings of the newer LED tv's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
What is the size of this 7 year old TV?

My cousin and I just talked about this when her 7 year old bulb tv went out. SHe was looking at replacing parts for 99 dollars.

This was right around black friday so we bought a 50 inch LED television for 350 dollars. (HEB Grocery store)

Now I see that you can get a 4k television every day for 400 dollars. (Newegg)

I have a 50 inch LED television that was 280 dollars, and a 40 inch tv that was 149 dollars. (Newegg, Best Buy)

Everybody likes to fix something but that doesn't make sense to me.

Not even accounting for energy savings of the newer LED tv's.

It's just a 46 inch TV that we watch in our living room. I think honestly it's just something I like about fixing our TV. I also had it apart to fix the white dot issue as well, and thought it was pretty cool that I did it myself. And the bulb replacement will be easy as well. I think the fact that I love the picture it has and the fact we are not crazy TV watchers kinda makes me want to fix it up.....

I am planning to replacing our old CRT panasonic TV in our basement, as the brightness is really on it's way out. Helps keep videos and games going when we have friends over. Figure a 32-40 inch LED TV should do just fine....

I wonder how much better the LEDs are on energy than the LCDs...

One last update...decided to go with that 90 dollar phillips bulb- So far the tv is quite happy and brighter-hoping it will last a while!

Feels good keeping it going....

Isn't it incredible how much you get used to the gradual decay of age and don't really notice how bad it was until you replace it with something new.

Bulbs, cars, women... all the same.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back