Carquest Blue 85040 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
3,021 miles/7 months on filter. Aggressive driving, some below freezing temps. Oil used was Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30. It also spent a few months just sitting. I was very impressed with how the filter held up and would use one again. This is a Wix/Napa Gold clone, equivalent to the Wix 51040, Napa Gold 1040, AC Delco PF47, Fram PH3387A. It was used on my 1999 Pontiac Firebird with the Buick 3800 Series II. No torn pleats. ADBV was still pliable. The best part... I only paid $1 for this filter at a garage sale about a year ago.
smile.gif

20150604_202511_zpsqpid3kqn.jpg

20150604_202540_zps1judoiqk.jpg

20150604_202520_zpsgl4slzax.jpg

20150604_202546_zps6v0gmask.jpg

Typical solid looking Wix construction. Looks like it did it's job well. No filter bypass here, GM with block bypass. Nice, especially for a buck. The blue was the equivalent of the Wix/Napa Gold filter.

Contract now gone to Champ/(fram) for new CQ filter. That said, Wix picked up the O'Reilly MicroGard account from Fram, so I guess it's a wash. Though based on filter sales volume I'd speculate Wix may have come out ahead.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i hope they did not change from wix to fram i would take wix over fram any time.

Too late
48.gif

They changed over before or during the AAP takeover.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i hope they did not change from wix to fram i would take wix over fram any time.

The Carquest red is very similar to the Wix, with 94.1% efficiency @ 20 microns, while the blue is much better than anything Wix makes, it's 99.1% efficient @ 20 microns with a rated 10,000 mile capacity and a high blend of synthetic glass media.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
...while the blue is much better than anything Wix makes, it's 99.1% efficient @ 20 microns with a rated 10,000 mile capacity and a high blend of synthetic glass media.

Sounds like a Tough Guard knock off. Tough Guards are one of my favorite filters, are the CQ version cheaper?

Course if they are I'd still have to find a Carquest.
laugh.gif

AAP bought the Carquest's in this area.

Now they put their parts in a Carquest box.

I wonder how that is going to shake out.

I consider Carquest to be a better quality part, similar to NAPA than AAP.

Carquest filters are now made by Champion. I've looked through a lot of them at work and most are simply OCODs in a white can. I'll stick with Driveworks for my cheap filters, thanks.

edit: All the ones in my store are "red", haven't seen any of the "blues".

Carquest parts sold through Advance, at least in my store, certainly aren't just old stock put in Carquest boxes. All the CQ parts are different from the corresponding Toughone, Driveworks, etc. I was comparing water pumps, remanufactured distributors, and starters just yesterday and the CQ parts seemed much higher quality. This is going to be a good change for Advance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
AAP bought the Carquest's in this area.

Now they put their parts in a Carquest box.

I wonder how that is going to shake out.

I consider Carquest to be a better quality part, similar to NAPA than AAP.

I saw that at my local AAP, also. They had Carquest boxes mixed in with the other boxes on the shelves. They just put a sticker over the part numbers.

The new CQ filters aren't Extra Guards. They have metal end caps. That said, I have no problem with a FRAM at all. This is coming from a guy who happily uses older filters, and Chinese/Korean made filters.

I think the new CQ Blue is more of a Tough Guard equivalent. I went into my local carquest a few weeks ago and I thought I was in the 90's.
laugh.gif
I will cut open the Blue that's on the Explorer here soon. I don't think I am going to take it to 5,000.

Last edited:
Now we know that the CARQUEST reds and blues are currently FRAM. My CARQUEST near my hometown is "for sale" and is closed!
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back