2006 Saturn Ion 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a change to pick up an 06 2.4L automatic with low KMs (122,000) for a good price. Any comment on these? Buy, or run away??

The 2.4 should be fun. If it's a killer deal always jump on it, you can always flip it!

Not an oil burner (has nothing in common with the 1.9L in the S series) and built on the same platform as the Cobalt. Solid car, questionable styling.

Yeah, I've been down to look at it twice...If I buy it something has to go, I guess that will be my daughters Cavalier. I just did a ton of work to it too...

So the early ions had an automatic transmission that was unreliable.

I had a 03 stick shift ion and it was fantastic.

2.2L, cheap transportation.

The 06 is going to be the same as the cobalt, I'm not sure if the cobalt got that 2.4 motor though.

The plastic body panels made for rust free driving in Buffalo, NY.

My dad used to have a 2006 Ion. Good car, aside from quite a few suspension issues. He only had it for a 3 year lease, which is too soon for a suspension to have bushing issues, IMO. I think his had the 2.2 Ecotec. I seem to remember the seats being a bit stiff and uncomfortable, and the center gauges take some getting used to.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

The 06 is going to be the same as the cobalt, I'm not sure if the cobalt got that 2.4 motor though.

They did; its just not real common. Probably 90% of all Cobalts got the 2.2.

I have a 2.4 Cobalt (an '06) and it runs great at 181K miles. Uses no oil.

Should be a good car if the price is right. Like the Cobalt, it should have the 4T45E automatic trans. A great unit.

I'm not sure if the Ion has electric power steering like the Cobalt. Having owned a 2007 Cobalt with E-steering, either way is OK to me.

They're sooooo boring, if that's what you're looking for.

The 2.4 is more hot roddy, someone would have specifically had to look for that motor. More thrashed or more cared for? That's the question.

My HHR front end has me banging my head but the powertrain's okay. Rest of the car is cheezy. Expect about the same from an ION.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
My dad used to have a 2006 Ion. Good car, aside from quite a few suspension issues. He only had it for a 3 year lease, which is too soon for a suspension to have bushing issues, IMO. I think his had the 2.2 Ecotec. I seem to remember the seats being a bit stiff and uncomfortable, and the center gauges take some getting used to.

I did replace bushings and weird parts in the front end at around 50k in a 2003 ION.

Other than that, the key switch needed to be replaced due to a non start condition.

After those two things i had zero problems but wear items, and took the car to 150k before I dumped it.

I am looking for a cheap cash car in the spring, I would buy a cobalt or an ION and have no problems with it. One of the few GM cars I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back