Ducati 899 Panigale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with these bikes? Was wondering about reliability and ease (lol) of maintenance.

The other thread doesn't seem to answer any of my questions.....

Was also wondering if anyone has any example of higher mileage ones and what type of life expectancy I can expect from from it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: montero1
Anyone have any experience with these bikes? Was wondering about reliability and ease (lol) of maintenance.

I don't think many here have owned one. They're beautiful bikes. I see no reason why they wouldn't be reliable, but they do require more maintenance than a Honda. I'm sure the maintenance is more expensive and difficult to perform.

The Ducati is reliable if you keep up with maintenance and cost of doing so... If you are looking at used then make sure all required service work has been taken care of, or the price reflects you having to pay for the service work.

"People that ride Ducati's live in big houses. People that work on Ducati's live in very big houses." as the saying goes...haha

Originally Posted By: montero1
The other thread doesn't seem to answer any of my questions.....

Was also wondering if anyone has any example of higher mileage ones and what type of life expectancy I can expect from from it.

The bike has been on the market barely two years; I think your expectation of finding someone with a high-mileage example (as a reference for reliability and longevity) is a long shot at best.....

My experience with my Multistrada has been one of solid engine reliability and performance. The main issue I have and that is common right now is the fuel gauge sender. My bike is on it's 3rd one in two years and this 3rd one is now borked. I don't know if the Panigale uses the same type of sender design. If it does, expect to rely on the trip odometer for fuel range and etc. Keep in mind about the Pani that it has no actual trellis frame like other Ducs, it is what they call a monocoque design or something where the engine and fuel tank are stressed members and make up the main strength that holds the bike together.

I have owned 11 motorcycles, one of which was a Ducati 1200 MTS Touring.

Ducati's are great bikes, but they are not as reliable as Japanese bikes and maintenance and parts are crazy expensive.

For example, the Multistrada 15,000 mile service is about $1200. Main parts replaced are the timing belt and spark plugs. I think the spark plugs are like $50 each (OEM Denso's from the dealer). The newer 1200's (1198) have 2 spark plugs per cylinder. $200 for spark plugs is insane.

Having said all that, the sound of a 10,000+ RPM Ducati is worth the cost if you have the money to blow.

Panigales (899, 1199, 1299) have chain-driven cams, so I would imagine it simplifies maintenance somewhat. However, the Desmo system remains, so you have twice as many valve clearances to set....

In the other recent 899 Panigale thread, there was a link to a story of a guy that rode his 1199 Panigale S around the Country.

His 15,000 mile service cost approx. $1900.00.

That kind of expense certainly relinquishes it to occasional use at best. Definitely too expensive for someone who is serious about racking up serious miles (unless money is no object for you, of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back