2015 Hyundia Veloster Turbo, OEM requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2015 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (1.6L T-GDI engine).

In order to not void the generous 120 month/ 100000 mi warranty, I have decided to strictly follow the OEM maintenance schedule and oil change recommendations.

Normal usage recommended OCI is 5,000 miles (8,000 km) or 6 months. Severe usage recommended OCI is 3,000 miles (5,000 km) or 3 months. (For the GDI version of this vehicle that has exactly the same engine minus the inter-cooled turbo-charger it is 7500mi/3750mi).

The consensus is that the OEM oil filter is inexpensive and reasonably good so no worries there. The recommended lubricant is ambiguous. The owner's manual states:

Quote:

API Service SM, ILSAC GF-5,
ACEA A5 or above

It recommends:
Quote:

Engine Oil (GDI) *1 - 5W-20,5W-30, (above 0F, 10W-30)
Engine Oil (Turbo GDI) *2 - 5W-30,5W-40

*1, for better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 5W-20 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4). However, if the engine oil is not available in your country select the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart.

*2, For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade 5W-30 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4 / ACEA A5 or above). However, if the engine oil is not available in your country select the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart.

So my oil choices are:
  • Not Mobil 1 (A1 is not above A5)
  • Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Platinum 5W-30
  • Castrol Edge or Edge EP 5W-30
  • Valvoline European Synpower FE 5W-30 and European Synpower 0W-30
  • Quaker State Ultimate Durability (A5-02?)
  • Some unknown 5W-40 that is "API SM / ILSAC GF-4 / ACEA A5 or above" (note that without the turbo, xW-30 is the thicker oil for this engine!)

So any other 5W-30, 5W-40 recommendations?
(And yes I know that A3 is not less than A5, but if you recommend an A3 oil, please justify why Hyundai should believe me when I tell them that it is "A5 or above".
And no, I do not wish to consider a 0W-40 oil).

Why not mobil 1?

I'm using Mobile Super Synthetic 5w20 in my accent with the non turbo 1.6 GDI. My next fill will be 1.5 quarts Mobil SS. 1 quart Castrol GTX synblend 5w20 (tired of looking at it by itself). And 1 quart Mobil 1 EP 0w20 to top it off. lol

Then probably RP 0w20 that I got on clearance. Not the HPS stuff.

So far 4000 miles in with Mobil SS 5w20 I'm not smelling any gas in the oil. At least not on the dipstick.

Also, I'm not the granny type either. With the 6spd manual I give this car [censored] everyday. Which from what I've read about GDI engines is a good thing. I hope anyhow.

Last edited:
Can you not use m1 euro 0w-40.
For quality and price it's tough to beat. Castrol euro is cut from the same cloth as well so if you can use one why not the other.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
Why not mobil 1?

I'm using Mobile Super Synthetic 5w20 in my accent with the non turbo 1.6 GDI.

Yeah, the non-turbo 1.6 GDI calls for 5W-20 with none of the ACEA stuff.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Can you not use m1 euro 0w-40.
For quality and price it's tough to beat. Castrol euro is cut from the same cloth as well so if you can use one why not the other.

No doubt the A3 M1 0w-40 is good stuff. So about A3 being "A5 or above" and 0w-40 not being 5W-40 for my Hyundai claim adjuster...

Originally Posted By: BitterShard
Why not mobil 1?

I'm using Mobile Super Synthetic 5w20 in my accent with the non turbo 1.6 GDI.

Yeah, the non-turbo 1.6 GDI calls for 5W-20 with none of the ACEA stuff.

So? I'm using oil waaaaaaaaay too good for this motor.

I'd just pick a good synthetic honestly. Any of the offerings from valvoline, shell, mobil, etc would do you just fine.

You might have a turbo but it's definitely nothing so special as to fret over oil. I have some german castrol 0w30 I'll sell you if you come get it.
smile.gif

Any issues you could possibly have would have to be proven to be oil related. Which is highly doubtful to being with unless you did something asinine like using some non-detertent dollar store oil.

Last edited:
I have some german castrol 0w30 I'll sell you if you come get it.
smile.gif

Last time I was in Huntsville there were Tornados
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BitterShard
I have some german castrol 0w30 I'll sell you if you come get it.
smile.gif

Last time I was in Huntsville there were Tornados
smile.gif

Ha. I'm waaaaaay south of there in Mobile. They get snow regularly.

Ha. I'm waaaaaay south of there in Mobile. They get snow regularly.

Yeah, we get Tornados, snow, earthquakes, and (looks out window) floods here.

A5 or above? What is above? There is NO above!
The most stout stuff that is ACEA recommended is A3. A3 is Mobil1 0W40, Castrol 0W40, 0W30 and 5W40. Those are much better choices then any A5 oil for Turbo engines.
IMO: Hyundai is playing games with warranty!

Originally Posted By: earlyre
ask they dealer what they use....

LOL, That's a good one. I doubt they know.

Currently they send you to their Honda dealership next door for any work.

Last edited:
ACEA A5 is a euro long drain spec. Hyundai's inclusion of an ACEA spec in combination with our short drain intervals led me to contact HyundaiUSA about this same issue some time ago. They advised that ANY API SM or ILSAC GF4 is all that's needed. ACEA is meant for Hyundai sold in europe. 'Synthetic' isn't mentioned in the Owners Manual at all.

I do know that when the VT first came out, a few forums advised of LSPI engine failures. I believe Hyundai has fixed this issue through engine management updates. As per SAE.org, this problem may stem from the use of oils with high Calcium content. Link below...
http://papers.sae.org/2014-32-0092/

Another study where Hyundai's GDi (2.4 non-turbo) is featured...
http://www.pecj.or.jp/japanese/overseas/conference/pdf/conference12-19.pdf

And T-GDI in general....
http://gf-6.com/sites/default/files/Turb...ig Hurdle.pdf

Sweet ride.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
ACEA A5 is a euro long drain spec. Hyundai's inclusion of an ACEA spec in combination with our short drain intervals led me to contact HyundaiUSA about this same issue some time ago. They advised that ANY API SM or ILSAC GF4 is all that's needed. ACEA is meant for Hyundai sold in europe. 'Synthetic' isn't mentioned in the Owners Manual at all.

Thanks for the info! That pretty much answers my question.

I do know that when the VT first came out, a few forums advised of LSPI engine failures. I believe Hyundai has fixed this issue through engine management updates. As per SAE.org, this problem may stem from the use of oils with high Calcium content. Link below...
http://papers.sae.org/2014-32-0092/

Oil flashpoint also seems to be implicated in the most recent studies. In any event I will be avoiding 'EP' oils with their extra calcium.

Another study where Hyundai's GDi (2.4 non-turbo) is featured...
http://www.pecj.or.jp/japanese/overseas/conference/pdf/conference12-19.pdf

I found this study VERY interesting. It seemed to imply that adding a catch can might be counter productive!

We've been through this before, and I believe Wemay spoke to them on the phone about this. First off, M1 may still be A5/B5. It is according to their site. Secondly, Pennzoil stuff shows an outdated version of the ACEA A5/B5 specification. The OEM indicated to Wemany, if I recall correctly, that they are not terribly worried about the A5 specification. They just want something to be met. Basically, it should have the proper API/ILSAC specification or be an A5 type lubricant.

Note that you will never find a 40 grade in GF-4, GF-5, or A5/B5.

Edit: I see Wemay found this thread and provided the information he got from them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
We've been through this before, and I believe Wemay spoke to them on the phone about this. First off, M1 may still be A5/B5. It is according to their site. Secondly, Pennzoil stuff shows an outdated version of the ACEA A5/B5 specification. The OEM indicated to Wemany, if I recall correctly, that they are not terribly worried about the A5 specification. They just want something to be met. Basically, it should have the proper API/ILSAC specification or be an A5 type lubricant.

Note that you will never find a 40 grade in GF-4, GF-5, or A5/B5.

Edit: I see Wemay found this thread and provided the information he got from them.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back