Frequent OCI For Push Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an older Snapper that is used very infrequently but, when used, works as a quasi-brush hog

Only started using it a couple years ago and am not certain of how well it was maintained... It was mfg in '90

Current oil is Super Tech HD-30

I'm thinking that I might change the oil every few hours in an effort to:

1. Clean out the motor as best I can
2. Use up the Super Tech 5w-30 I have

I realize consumption might increase with the 5w-30 but will keep an eye on it

At this point, I'm not concerned about waste

My question is: is it possible to change the oil too frequently? Is there time/usage parameter to consider for keeping oil in the engine?

I read once that the TBN drops quickly with initial oil change but then stabilizes. I'm not so concerned about tbn but are there other factors to consider?

Thanks in advance and Happy Memorial Day weekend - thanks to ALL the vets out there....!

Last edited:
Worst thing about changing oil too often is the oil and money you're wasting. I'd probably go 25-hours, under heavy load like you're doing, then change it. Normal use on a typical briggs, go 50-hours.

Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
Worst thing about changing oil too often is the oil and money you're wasting. I'd probably go 25-hours, under heavy load like you're doing, then change it. Normal use on a typical briggs, go 50-hours.

+1

Absolutely nothing to be gained by changing with a "every few hours" interval. You'll be draining essentially new oil and replacing it with new oil, to absolutely no advantage. Reduce manufacturers recommended interval a little if you want to be cautious.

No need to change it too frequently, but if you want to be aggressive, change it every 20-25 hours.

I change my lawnmower motor oil every other year -- Quaker State Defy 10-40. She purrrssssss from beginning of season to end!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the oil that is in it really tar black? If it IS then I personally change it and see how fast it gets black again. if really fast, like only an hour or less, then I would change it again just as A flush. then not worry about it again till it has several hours on it. I you only put a couple hours a year on it, I would change it every couple years.

Finz, I think you were pretty clear about having extra oil on hand in a weight/brand you'd just as soon get rid of. If that's the case, I think what you're doing is a good idea ... frequent oil changes to clean a machine with an unknown history.

Just be sure to save the used oil in a jug and return it properly.

Like you said, just check the oil as it sounds you are pushing it hard and 5W-30 will thin from fuel dilution and heat/stress and get consumed.

Thanks all... Big recycling guy here so that's a given.

The oil was coal black after about 6 hours earlier this week.. Was fresh HD-30 as of last Sept

I was just thinking that an aggressive OCI might tidy things up inside. But I didn't want to cause problems...

Doesn't sound as though it will so I'll experiment and see how long it takes to stay relatively light (I know color doesn't mean much, but it's either this or paint inside -- no thank you).

I'm not discounting anything suggested but Bror Jace hit the nail on the head... I want to get rid of this stash. And, if no harm done, ...

I COULD mow 24/7 for the next 2 months and still not finish but expect another 20 hours before heading home.

Thanks again

I grass;-) fuel dilution turns mower oil coal black. You might start doing push mower oc before and after the mowing season if you don't want contaminated oil in it during the off season. Do the spring oc after the first mowing. That way you can get in an extra oc.

Last edited:
I have a diy push mower. It has a 3.5hp B&S flathead motor on it. It is made up from parts of 3 other mowers, 1 of mine, one of my neighbors, and one from my wife's boss, who was going to throw it out. It is at least 20 years old, maybe more. It gets used only for trimming. Maybe 4-5 hours a year. I last changed the oil 3 years ago, I think, maybe longer. The oil was getting a little dark, but still clear looking. I put 5W-30 M1 in it. It still looks clear. The mower is stored out back, pushed under the rear of a 1991 Dodge spirit, which is covered with a tarp and parked under a Giant Willow Oak that is more then 4' through at the base.

IOWS: Don't bother. Keep it topped up as needed. Change it when it gets kind of dark looking.

I have a 5 year old briggs powered Deere lawn mower.

I change it once a year with whatever is in my collection of left over fresh oil from the car.

Last year I had a new quart of 5w40, this year it is 5w30.

Nothing wrong with a few quick oil changes to clean it out. I just did a 4th oil change on a 1 year old mower with rotella T-5, not because it was sludged, but to carry out all the new motor break in metal thoroughly. its only 20oz...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back