maxATF or maxlife for dexron III use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a toyota corolla 2001 with 190,000 km and the dipstick calls for dexron 3, so what do you think will be better for longevity and shifting quality - Royal purple maxATF or Valvoline maxlife? (regardless of the cost) the transmission used the original toyota T-III till now.
Should I replace the Transmission Filter too ?

If you can easily get max life I would use that. I'm using it both a 98 Toyota Sienna and a 97 Honda Civic. No issues with either tranny.

If there is a filter or strainer, I would change it and clean the tranny pan.

I'd replace the transmission filter. The trick to shifting quality and longevity is difficult. A fluid that provides smoother shifting can wear the clutch pack out quicker. A fluid that makes the transmission shift a tad harder can lengthen the lifespan of the clutch pack. I'm guessing Royal Purple might provide crisper shifting than Valvoline. If you want smoothness, go with Valvoline. Again, just a guess.

I run the ML ATF in my 2001 Corolla. As with everything I use ML in, it's shifts smooth as can be. Hard to beat the price at WM.

I used MaxLife for a few drain and fills in my wife's 2002 Corolla with good results. Shifts are firm and general operation is smooth.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Of those two I would go with MaxLife. I'd rather a lower cost, quality Dex3 with Lubeguard red, though.

+1.

After I do my drain and fill's, I always add a couple ounces of LG red for good measure.

Maxlife is a better bargain than Royal Purple. I get the gallon jugs of Maxlife atf at Meijer for $16.50

Even DexronVI would be a huge step up over a shear prone mineral based DexronIII fluid.

I don't see any reason to buy a full priced mineral based dex/merc these day, unless it has TES-389 approval which is equivalent to DexronIIIH

Originally Posted By: buck91
Of those two I would go with MaxLife. I'd rather a lower cost, quality Dex3 with Lubeguard red, though.

For a synthetic Dex III substitute, I use Mag1 MV synthetic. It is pretty affordable via Amazon. I have a GM 4L30E in a vehicle and they can be finicky. That works great in it (I put 10oz of Lubeguard in, too). That fluid is also closer to T-IV specs like the OPs car than MaxLife, though I don't think it's a huge deal there and I have MaxLife in other vehicles in lieu of T-IV - they all work great.

thanks to all guys responded. My car uses the original toyota dexron III, not T-IV. In my country I only can get the maxlife for ~$12 quart and maxatf for ~$20 quart. I don't care paying more if that means the transmission continues to work without problems for the next 5 years. The atf will also replace the original power steering fluid.

In that case, use the MaxLife for AT and PS and don't worry.

I have MaxLife in two vehicles spec'd for T-IV (2002 lexus and 2007 Chevy w/Toyota transmission). It works GREAT in lieu of T-IV.

Just replaced my ATF and PSF with maxatf, trans filter, RP oil engine and OEM filter.
Did a simple drain&fill with the ATF. My corolla 2001 VVTI 1.6 driving excellent now.
feugpk3.jpg

WBHlCeF.jpg

I used Mobil 3309. Now I find something cheaper. It is castrol Transmax at autozone. So I will continue to use castrol atf for drain/refill process.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Great choices all around, I love Maxlife atf any synerlec.

Thanks. I also heard good things about RP's synerlec additive.

When should I do a second drain&refill, considering that half of the fluid is the old atf (toyota T-III) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back