Deceptive Vitamin Packaging...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm at Walmart in the clearance aisle and I notice some Osteo Bi-Flex marked down to $7.00 so I grab a bottle. When I got home...I open the bottle and notice the bottle is almost empty. So I look at the packaging and it says 60 tablets. So I count them and yep..there's 60 tablets. The bottle measures 4-3/4 inches high and the tablets only take up 1 inch of that height. I estimate they could have easily gotten 320 tablets into this bottle but chose 60. I feel like I have been Duped... is there someone I can report this to?

The bottle says 60 tablets and there were 60 tablets in there. Not much you can do about it. Should have read the bottle prior to purchase. A lot of things have more packaging than they require, just look at a bag of potato chips.

Nothing new for manufacturers to package items in oversized packaging. See it all the time. If the package states 60 tabs and you got 60, you did not get duped. Unless of course this our daily dose of humor.

Lots of food is sold like this now. I bought a container of yogurt without reading the label. Turns out the container was the same size as 8oz yogurt containers but there was only 5oz in it. The bottom was hollow and raised to give the illusion that the container contained a lot of food when in fact it was 1/3 hollow.

I also bought a frozen mini pizza where the box was much too big for the tiny pizza, again giving the illusion the contents were larger than it really was

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
They probably use the same bottle for every size tablet quantity.

Would be my guess also.

I work in drug development. You'd be surprised what a pain in the [censored] it is to source containers and closures. If they got a good deal on a million bottles and caps, they're using them for all their packaging needs.

The tablets are sold by count, not volume. Read the label. We spend hours designing, reviewing, and approving labels.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I estimate they could have easily gotten 320 tablets into this bottle but chose 60.

For logistical reasons, many supplement, vitamin, pharmaceutical, and other such manufacturers use only a few bottles for all their product lines. This means that the same bottle could be anywhere from mostly-full to mostly-empty, depending on the volume of the fill.

It is not practical for most of the above manufacturers to maintain bottle-stock that exactly fits the fill for every product, especially since product lines change all the time.

Reasons for using only a few sizes of bottle include
1) purchase of the bottles from the supplier (larger volume of one size means lower prices)
2) existence of supplier existing molds
3) commonality of filling/sealing/labeling machinery and tooling
3) commonality of shipping-packaging and palletizing.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Ever notice how much of a bag of potato chips is just air.,,,

Buy Pringles.

So I'm at Walmart in the clearance aisle and I notice some Osteo Bi-Flex marked down to $7.00 so I grab a bottle. When I got home...I open the bottle and notice the bottle is almost empty. So I look at the packaging and it says 60 tablets. So I count them and yep..there's 60 tablets. The bottle measures 4-3/4 inches high and the tablets only take up 1 inch of that height. I estimate they could have easily gotten 320 tablets into this bottle but chose 60. I feel like I have been Duped... is there someone I can report this to?

They generously gave you an oversized bottle and you feel you have been duped?

That's important to making sure you get chips that aren't all broken up. You still get the stated weight, right?

Trust me, if they could get them in smaller packages and still deliver quality product they would. It would make it cheaper to transport and handle if the bags weren't so large.

I feel like I have been Duped... is there someone I can report this to?

Go find something that's actually important to worry about. The container was clearly marked as to the quantity. You bought a package of 60, there were 60 in the package, so any "reporting" would just make you look even more foolish. Who really cares about the size of the bottle?

Originally Posted By: BRZED

Buy Pringles.

You mean that slurry of rice, wheat, corn, and potato flakes that gets pressed into molds in order to make something that can't even be called a potato chip? Yeah, better you than me on both the real potato chips as well as the synthetic version.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Gawd I hope they don't start selling a quart of oil in the 5-quart size jugs.

then we would all be getting duped.
op -- there's likely a toll free number on that massive bottle, so people can call and [censored] about important issues, such as this. but, the person to which you speak will think that you're an idiot.
at any rate, thank you for a great laugh.go fire up another one, and have a good night.

is there someone I can report this to?

Yup, your first grade teacher. He/she apparently failed you when it comes to reading.

Don't buy "vitamins" (or any supplements at Wal-Mart). They were stung in an investigation by the NY Attorney General as one of several national vendors that had dubious quality...

Quote:
The New York State attorney general’s office accused four major retailers on Monday of selling fraudulent and potentially dangerous herbal supplements and demanded that they remove the products from their shelves.

The authorities said they had conducted tests on top-selling store brands of herbal supplements at four national retailers — GNC, Target, Walgreens and Walmart — and found that four out of five of the products did not contain any of the herbs on their labels. The tests showed that pills labeled medicinal herbs often contained little more than cheap fillers like powdered rice, asparagus and houseplants, and in some cases substances that could be dangerous to those with allergies.

NY Times Link

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
is there someone I can report this to?

Yup, your first grade teacher. He/she apparently failed you when it comes to reading.

My thoughts exactly. Report it to the vitamin police. They are really responsive to these types of "complaints".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back