Dog dragging rear legs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Darn, $$$$$! oh well,guess i gotta.

Yes, you gotta. Otherwise, don't own a pet if you're not prepared to pay for its well being.

What kind of dog is it?

Could be hip dysplasia? My male newfounland needed both rears operated on when he was 3.

My 2 year old small female unfixed dog has been dragging its rear legs quite often now. I've read that it could be due to injury,but my dog is fine. It still jumps up and is very happy and playful all the time. i don't see any sign that it's injured.Any reason as to why it does this?

Our cat did this out of the blue and it was a blood clot. If the dog is happy I suspect this isnt the case, but you dont know what might be pressing on a nerve or doing other odd things. Go to a vet.

Our German Shephard started doing this, then very quickly lost all muscular control through the back half of his body. A thousand dollars later, we found out that he had injured a disc and it had swollen and was compressing his spinal cord. he couldn't walk, go to the bathroom, etc....

The vet recommended emergency surgery to pull his disc and fuse the vertebrae together. The estimated cost was close to $10,000 - he was an old dog and we opted not to do it. I understand that decision does not sit well with some people, but somewhere you do have to draw the line on how much you want to spend on a pet.

Last edited:
Is her gait normal still? Any serious rough housing with a bigger dog lately?
We figure our female got body checked too hard one day by our younger male and ended up with some nerve damage and lost some control of her back legs. The vet says normally she sees this with dogs hit by cars, but the dog is only in the pasture. When amped up, she still runs at maybe 90% of her old speed, but for normal walking or trotting, you can tell something is wrong as she now trots like a pacer(both legs on one side moving together). Its been 4 years now and she still seems happy and although she drags her back feet sometimes, the grass doesn't wear her nails or top of her foot like pavement would.

If it's paralysis in the hindquarters, it's a neurologic problem. Some breeds are more disposed to this than others.

I've had two dogs with this kind of spinal nerve compression, and the window of opportunity to fix it after the animal goes down is very narrow - I've been told 24 hours, before the damage is permanent - it's an emergency condition.

Only one Vet around here does this kind of surgery, and he stays pretty busy doing it. First dog was $1.8K, second was about $3K.

Why would anyone come to a message forum for this situation? Take the darn dog to the vet ASAP!

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
My 2 year old small female unfixed dog has been dragging its rear legs quite often now. I've read that it could be due to injury,but my dog is fine. It still jumps up and is very happy and playful all the time. i don't see any sign that it's injured.Any reason as to why it does this?

Is she "scooting" along the floor trying to rub her butt against the ground...I would say worms.

Our now departed cockapoo used to do that and they found worms.
No, it's where the tips of the rear legs are stretched out probably farther than the tip of the tail.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Why would anyone come to a message forum for this situation? Take the darn dog to the vet ASAP!

+1

Is your dog treated against parasites? It's obligatory over here along with yearly vaccine for rabies. My old dog often rubb his behind when his anal glands get filled. It's easy to clean him by your self, but I never had stomach for it, so would just let Vet to deal with it.

as well, if money comes into these conversations, then one should not have a pet.
op -- this topic is funny, for an internet forum. thanks for the laugh.

Originally Posted By: yeti
as well, if money comes into these conversations, then one should not have a pet.

I'll grant you the moral high ground, but have to say I don't understand this train of thought. However, I've often been accused of being a practical realist sort. I'll agree conceptually with you at the several hundred dollar mark, but don't understand people who spend five figures or go into high levels of debt to treat their pets. At some point, you have to stop humanizing them and realize it is a financial decision that is going to impact your life going forward.

I'll admit that sounds callous, but maybe I'm jaded by my years of being a vounteer with my local dog breed rescue. There are millions of sad stories out there, and you learn to quickly assess where to spend limited resources. You can't save them all.

And I'm not all heartless. When my first son was born, instead of getting my wife the typical gift I decided to do something different. I found a dog at a kill shelter that was adoptable, and paid for him to be taken off death row till he was adopted. He was scheduled to be put down on the day my son was born, instead he got another life. Let me say, it was a hit with my wife and then some.

Vets can get pretty creative in finding expensive ways to help your pet....
Did you know you can get braces for a dog? Starts at $3-4k and up from there! We were a bit green in buying our first dog and didn't check its mouth thoroughly enough... Getting the offending tooth removed didn't cost too much atleast, once we declined all the add-ons.
Our dogs actually have more than sentimental value as they keep the livestock alive, and you can't just pick up another dog at the pound to replace them. It takes a fair amount of training time to with the right breed to have them become useful. So far they have been quite trouble free other than the tooth and spine injury, but the one is old enough now that next vet bill will probably be to put her down.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
My cat was doing that one night and i got really scared because he is 20yo. Anyway turned out he ate something bad and had to go to the bathroom. Seriously take your dog to the vet asap.

The same symptom cropped up on Tatiana the Siberian kitten, when she was 3 1/2 years old. I woke in the early hours to her crying, and her back legs wouldn't work. I hustled her to the emergency vet right away. Too late -- her heart failed, that HCM syndrome, they thought.

So to the OP, have your dog looked at right away.

This + 1000

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Vets can get pretty creative in finding expensive ways to help your pet....
Did you know you can get braces for a dog? Starts at $3-4k and up from there! We were a bit green in buying our first dog and didn't check its mouth thoroughly enough... Getting the offending tooth removed didn't cost too much atleast, once we declined all the add-ons.
Our dogs actually have more than sentimental value as they keep the livestock alive, and you can't just pick up another dog at the pound to replace them. It takes a fair amount of training time to with the right breed to have them become useful. So far they have been quite trouble free other than the tooth and spine injury, but the one is old enough now that next vet bill will probably be to put her down.

What a person chooses to spend, or not, at the vet once the illness/injury is diagnosed is irrelevant to this instances. I am not sure how people veered off onto that?

The OP came to a message forum, and one about oil no less, rather than going to the vet to find out what happened when something clearly is seriously wrong with his dog. At least take the dog to the vet and see what is wrong and then decide if you can or will proceed with treatment. At the very least a responsible pet owner owes it to their pet to go to the vet and find out what is wrong. If you can't at least afford the office visit then maybe you best not have a pet.

For darn sure you don't go to a message forum to diagnose the problem when your dog is dragging it's hind end and you don't wait days or longer to seek out real help from a vet when something serious like that shows up. I am sorry but that is just wrong. I try really hard not to get personal on this site even when I disagree with someone but this kind of thing sickens me. I don't understand people sometimes???

33.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

This + 1000

+ 1001

Once again take the dog to the vet. An oil forum is not the place to be asking this type of question.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Darn, $$$$$! oh well,guess i gotta. SOmeone here at work mentioned worms.Maybe?

It could be something as simple as full anal glands. Your description of the issue leaves a lot to be desired. That being said, choosing to be responsible for a pet means that you choose to give it medical care when needed. Your dog looks to you for all of her needs-it's an unwritten agreement that you make when you choose to take on the responsibility of a pet.

If the only thing you're worried about is the $$$$!, then leave the pets to people who choose to properly care for them, and buy yourself an ant farm.

nhhemi --you state "I am not sure how people veered off onto that." re: $$$$$$$$.
nobody "veered off" onto that.the o.p. is the one that brought up the subject of $$$$.read his post above.
as well, several posters concur with my post.
have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back