85 4Runner T-case, Diff fluids, Tranny Fluid chang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 85 4Runner that has been sitting for over 5 years. Drove it around the block last night for the first time. I would like to upgrade all the fluids since I believe they have not been changed since it last was driven.
It has Dual Transfer cases as well, 5 speed manual....
What ATF, Diff Gear Oil and T-case fluids are recommended? I didn't notice any leaks except on the axle ends.
Thanks in Advance.

Your manual transmission, differentials, and transfer cases all appear to take 90-weight gear oils.

I'm not certain how much you want to spend, but there are plenty of 75w-90 or 80w-90 GL-5 gear oils for you to choose from. Wal-Mart has Supertech 80w-90 that's cheap enough and Amazon has a case of Valvoline Durablend that's pretty reasonable too.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
On the other hand, if you want premium fluids:

Red Line MT-90 in the transmission.

Red Line 75w-90 in the other holes.

^+1
Toyota truck manuals love MT-90, made mine shift so smooth... Its very important to use GL-4 in there! I am under the impression that the transfer case takes the same GL-4, but some are saying GL-5????? what does your manual say?

Definitely a GL-5 in the differentials, most 75w-90s will work just fine. Valvoline conventional has some really good specs and is cheap for a gear oil.

Edit: Amsoil.com is saying both GL-4 and GL-5 would work in transfer...

Last edited:
That uses paper gaskets unless they used RTV when they did the dual case. It also has gears not chain for the factory T-Case in 1985 unless they swamped that out as well.

Given the age I would use a synthetic 140wt gear lube that meets or exceeds Fords specifications since you live in California. I would use Redline or Amsoil. Not all 140wts. are that great.

If you want something thinner I would still use either Redline or Amsoil in 75W90 or close to that.

I am talking about the T-Cases in the above.

For the transmission I would use Redline MT90 again you live in California no need for MTL or MT85 etc....This will give you great synchromesh and great gear and bearing protection even if the parts have some wear.

These years where not that picky and would do just fine on almost any brand of gear lube from any large oil formulator. So if you did not want expensive synthetics Schaffer's, Cenpeco, Castrol, Valvoline gear lubes will all work fine.

If I recall properly for that vintage Toyota called for 70W80 and 2 year 24,000 mile OCI for all parts using gear lube. It was always hard to find 70W80or 75W80 in the USA so most used 75W90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back