High Mileage Oil related article...

Status
Not open for further replies.
36.gif

Maxlife ATF fixed a small fluid leak around the Mustang's brake booster. (The brakes on the '97 Mustang GT are boosted by power steering pump, not engine vacuum.)

The older I get, the more I think that worth is very relative.

IE: Does anyone *need* to use synthetic oils? Outside very high performance applications, probably not. But if using it makes you feel better/happier/more handsome/blah blah blah...it's worth it.

thanks,
ben

Last edited:
I went to walmart yesterday to buy mobil 1 5w30 and the high mileage was 4 dollars cheaper for the jug than the regular jug.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I went to walmart yesterday to buy mobil 1 5w30 and the high mileage was 4 dollars cheaper for the jug than the regular jug.

That's because the HM is most likely a blend....

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: joegreen

That's because the HM is most likely a blend....
Mobil 1 HM isn't a blend, but it is rated SL (which means cars older than 2006 or so. Good stuff, though.

That was a good article and spot on for the most part. He really did a good job explaining the benefit of added seal conditioners. At some point I will switch my car over to a high mileage oil, but not for a few years.

FYI, you can used a HM oil like MaxLife in a new car as well.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: map76
https://www.cars.com/articles/is-oil-for-high-mileage-engines-worth-the-extra-cost-1420680439321/
Thicker oil increases oil pressure? Maybe in a lawn mower. Apparently the policy is to have the auto writers be even dumber than those they are writing for.

The viscosity of a fluid is basicly determined by it's resistance to flow, thicker = more resistance. An oil pump pumps a certain volume of oil based on engine RPM. Pumping the same volume of thicker oil thru the same size passages will create more resistance and higher oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: BrianC
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: map76
https://www.cars.com/articles/is-oil-for-high-mileage-engines-worth-the-extra-cost-1420680439321/
Thicker oil increases oil pressure? Maybe in a lawn mower. Apparently the policy is to have the auto writers be even dumber than those they are writing for.

The viscosity of a fluid is basicly determined by it's resistance to flow, thicker = more resistance. An oil pump pumps a certain volume of oil based on engine RPM. Pumping the same volume of thicker oil thru the same size passages will create more resistance and higher oil pressure.

But once the pressureat exit of the fuel pump reachesabout 75 PSI, a bypass valve opens which keeps the oil pressure from rising further.

So you positive displacement pump displaces high viscosity oil straight back to the sump...

Yes, but the oil that is already in the bearing, or between the camshaft and the lobe, or between the cylinder wall and the piston is still thicker, therefore the pressure is higher. The oil pressure in the oil galleys is controlled by the bypass spring, but thicker oil can result in higher visco-dynamic pressures within the operating components.If you look at CFD modeling of oil flow in a bearing vs the idealized classical models discussed in the Haas articles, you will actually maintain better clearance with thicker oils in many cases despite the decreased flow rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back