10 Lubrication Failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Jeep 4.0 is probably going to toss a piston skirt before too long. Not a lubrication failure.

A friend of mine has a 2005 Accord. He REFUSES to change the timing belt and runs 10K on whatever the cheapest oil is. The engine isn't going to die from 10K oil change intervals on cheap conventional oil, it's going to die from the timing belt snapping.

I can only think of a few, very rare, cases. Like Toyotas and Saturns coking their rings causing oil consumption ... which would be avoided by checking the oil.

or someone running 20w-50 in -50 temperatures - not a fault of the lubrication as it was not used as intended.

If you can't afford a $3,500 turbo replacement every 50k then don't buy one in the first place.

Last edited:
Never seen a real lubrication failure.

Also only the poorest designed turbos should fail at 50k, they should and mostly do last until rebuild time.

The cool down thing is a bit out dated as well, maybe on a highly boosted race car really on boost, or a truck pulling over Pikes Peak. But for day to day? For what? Most turbo charged diesels in equipment are started and stopped, without any issues all day long. I never waited a second for my turbo to spool down in my Mercedes and it was just fine and original when I sold it at 280k miles. Typical road use is not at WOT with high EGT's and lots of load. You may go WOT for say 30 seconds before exceeding speed limits.

Now in the marine world, yes you should let them cool down. But idling into the harbor is more than enough. However marine diesels are different animals than OTR diesels. They are more power dense and typically run at 80%-100% load for hours at a time.

Lots of over amplification on the internet here.

Last edited:
Never seen a real lubrication failure? Have you ever seen a spun bearing? Pretty hard to argue it is not a lubrication failure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: carock
Never seen a real lubrication failure? Have you ever seen a spun bearing? Pretty hard to argue it is not a lubrication failure.

I have. The keep 3.8 is pretty well known for spun bearings. The engine was assembled wrong. Or, someone runs their engine low on oil ...

Not on an engine that either didn't have a manufacturing defect, or wasn't abused.

Last edited:
The vast majority of the oil failures that happen are due to an owner who neglects to check the level of oil and lets what is left in the sump get really beat up.

Majority of vehicles do not consume much initially but when they do finally most owners have no idea and the damage listed above happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock
If you can't afford a $3,500 turbo replacement every 50k then don't buy one in the first place.

turbo's last the lifetime of the vehicle if properly cared for.... easiest $14,000 you'll ever make...

"The rotating seals are strongly affected by the oil condition"

I always suspected this; I've never been able to confirm it. I have noticed cars with the worst oil leaks tend to be the most neglected examples.

Also, from what I've read, the leading cause of turbocharger failure is FOD; typically due to filtration issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back