BMW 325i Splash Guard Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife hit a ground hog and cracked the center splash guard underneath the engine of our 2001 BMW 325i. It now has three tears of about 4-5 inches each (two are near the screws that hold it in place). Could any one tell me the best way to repair this type of plastic sheet ? Would gorilla tape work or do I need something else. The splash guard costs about $200 which seems too much. Thanks everybody.

Hello, I don't know the configuration of your part but "whatever works" is acceptable.
Sheet metal and the shortest of nuts and bolts or even pop rivets can work.

I've used "plumber's strap" (universal perforated sheet metal band) where holes were needed.

You might like this one.....I find the "bristles" from the street sweeper while walking the dog. I've put them on the edge of torn, softer splash guards and used gaffers tape (fiberglass reinforced tape used in display and theatre work) to make up a strong edge which can once again support a hole.

A guy gave me a sample (couple of feet wound onto a peanut butter jar) of Gorilla tape and I was very impressed.
DARNED strong. Kira

$200.00 is well worth the fine German engineering you get when you buy a BMW.

I fixed one of the belly pans for my A4 Audi with fiberglass and epoxy resin. Rough up the plastic with course sandpaper. Has been perfect for over 2 years.

A company named Plast-aid makes a two part product that will chemically bond many types of plastic, including ABS. I repaired a motorcycle fairing that was ABS plastic, and a metal leg mount for a shop light, both holding well. This stuff can be formed into plastic parts if it is allowed to set up into a putty. Motorcycle Consumer News reviewed it, and made new mounting tabs for a sportbike fairing that were stronger than the originals.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
I fixed one of the belly pans for my A4 Audi with fiberglass and epoxy resin. Rough up the plastic with course sandpaper. Has been perfect for over 2 years.

Thank you, Silveravant. I wonder what type of fiberglass and epoxy resin you used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back