10 Lubrication Failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post is to dissolve the myth that engines do not fail because of lubrication failures. It happens all the time. In my experience cooling failures are more common, but lubrication failures take place all the time:

1. Low on oil. Engine fails because car runs out of oil. First, the car would not have run low on oil if the car did not consume or leak oil. The car consumes oil because the rings or valve seals went bad. The rings only go bad because of detonation, ring land expansion (design or quality error), or good old fashioned ring wear from bad lubrication. The valves go bad from a machining error, poor seal selection, or bad lubrication. The outer seals leak by bad design or poor lubrication (varnish ruins seals).
2. Piston scuffing. This is bad machining, or poor lubrication.
3. Bearing wear. It is pretty rare that a car gets pulled off the road due to bearing wear, but it does happen.
4. Massive leak. This is different than running low on oil because the car may have always had oil added, but still has a large leak. The leak can be caused by poor lubrication of any of the rotating seals. A valve cover or pan gasket is usually a different problem not directly related to the oil. The rotating seals are strongly affected by the oil condition
5. Emissions failures. You can replace your car in California because you fail emissions after two inspections in four years. Lots of cars fail because of excessive smoke caused by bad rings or valves.
6. Turbo bearings. The number of cars that have been junked because a turbo bearing went bad? Well, my sister just junked her Subaru WRX after 160,000 miles of "by the book maintenance" because the turbo packed up. I also junked a 1999 VW GOlf TDI for the same reason after 75,000 miles. That VW was religiously maintained. IMHO, all turbo failures are lubrication failures. The turbo doesn't pack it up for no reason. It is the bearing that goes bad first. Say what you want, but if that bearing had a healthy flow of oil at all times, the turbo would still be spinning.
7. Head gaskets. Belive it or not, head gaskets can blow because the oil allows corrosion to take place, or it just plain leaks oil. This qualifies as a lubrication failure in many instances. I used to work on Alfa Romeos and a head gasket leaking oil through a corroded gasket passage, or disintegrated O-ring, was a common failure.
8. Cam - Lifter - Tappet -Valve. Lots of cars have valve or valve system failures related to inadequate lubrication. In the case of the Lotus-Ford twin cam the cause was actually too much lubrication because the engine sent all the oil to the head. The valves were drowning in oil. We won't talk about the famous flat tappet ZDDP failures. I am convinced that was caused by the same poor quality heat treatment that happens today. Valves often go bad because of poor lubrication on the valve stem. This is caused by contamination, or inadequate oil. If you don't think synthetic oils can make any difference, try using Redline versus any other 80's dino oil on a VW Beetle and see what that does for your valve life.
9. Thrust bearing failures. Think your thin oil protects everything? NOT the thrust bearing baby. I had to rebuild several engines because of thrust bearing failures. Be careful when switching to a thinner oil than recommended!
10. Sludge. It sucks. Say no more.

Hopefully, this will wake up the nay-sayers who think that no engine fails due to lubrication issues. That myth should not be repeated on BITOG.

you forgot about oil coking in ring groves from high piston temps resulting in plugged up piston oil holes and later stuck oil rings accelerating ring/liner wear. common in some toyota engines.

You tossed a VW TDI after 75k because of a bad turbo?

Do you junk your cars whenever you need new tires as well????

Originally Posted By: carock

6. Turbo bearings. The number of cars that have been junked because a turbo bearing went bad? Well, my sister just junked her Subaru WRX after 160,000 miles of "by the book maintenance" because the turbo packed up. I also junked a 1999 VW GOlf TDI for the same reason after 75,000 miles. That VW was religiously maintained. IMHO, all turbo failures are lubrication failures. The turbo doesn't pack it up for no reason. It is the bearing that goes bad first. Say what you want, but if that bearing had a healthy flow of oil at all times, the turbo would still be spinning.

my BIL owns a large VW diesel turbo/pump/injectors re-manufacturing business in europe. they routinely go out in 200,000 miles/300,000 km. very lucrative to say the least.

This one I generally disagree with because Ive owned multiple MB diesels with >>200k miles on a fully functional turbo, and have even seen less than well maintained VW 1.8T cars go >>150k on their original turbos. There are so many factors to this piece of machinery failing, and one of the main ones, IMO is user error... Shut the car down without letting the turbo spin down and cool. The oil cokes, passages get clogged, and its not the lubricants fault other than being subjected to severe conditions outside of their design envelope.

1. Low on oil. Engine fails because car runs out of oil. First, the car would not have run low on oil if the car did not consume or leak oil. The car consumes oil because the rings or valve seals went bad. The rings only go bad because of detonation, ring land expansion (design or quality error), or good old fashioned ring wear from bad lubrication. The valves go bad from a machining error, poor seal selection, or bad lubrication. The outer seals leak by bad design or poor lubrication (varnish ruins seals).
How is this the fault of the oil? This is not a lubrication failure per se, but that of the owner/operator.

The only good thing about speed-bumps in my community is that you need to travers three of them before reaching my home. Great for turbo cool down.

Not sure that some of your scenarios would have been mitigated with the use of any oil on any OCI, but you've still presented us with some things we might consider.
Oil selected and OCIs may sometimes have a more subtle effect long-term than most of us realize.
Running out of oil happens to those conditioned to think that they never need check the level.
You could do this with most of the cars we've had, but not all of them.

engine fails due to lubrication issues. That myth should not be repeated on BITOG.

Turbos can fail from a defective diverter or blow off valve, not jut bad lubrication. DV/BOV's in general, what they do is let excess boost/air pressure off when the throttle plate is closed after being in boost. This keeps the boost from going back into the turbo which cause compressor surge, which can damage the turbo. So basically a DV is there to prevent the turbo from killing itself.

Turbos need idling for a few minutes (about 2 to 4) before shut down to spread the heat soaking and to cool off the impeller, the shaft and turbine. Or you'll coke the oil at the housing/jounal shaft area and make a lack of lube induced of such parts. If you don't belive me, just try to spill some oil over the exhaust manifold immediately after shut down, and you'll get what I mean. Some systems have eletric pump to keep the oil moving around those hot parts, but the flow and volume is way less than in a running engine.

Edit: If you run full synthetic oil you can cut the time in half easily.

Last edited:
So are you saying the conventional wisdom, that there is no point in paying for premium oils not required by manufacturer, is wrong? Are you saying that shorter OCI's are a good thing?

Hey! The VW TDI went to my ex-wife on divorce okay? The turbo blew, taking some other parts with it and the car was essentially totaled. Don't blame me if I wasn't going to fix it.....however it was well maintained.

Yes, I am definitely saying that synthetic oils are better than dino oils. I have peered into the private parts of many engines and this is my conclusion. You will not be able to talk me out of this conclusion.

Extended OCI's work when nothing goes wrong. Shorter OCI's work all the time. They just cost more.

Interesting comment on thrust bearings.
Just about every car with a manual transmission these days,requires the clutch pedal to be depressed before starting.

Not the best thing for thrust bearings.

Add thin oil into the equation, and I can see why there seem to be more thrust bearing issues these days.

Yeah, I forgot the timing chains! Timing chains elongate due to erosion of the bushings. The erosion is caused by small particles in the oil. Now we have eleven lubrication failures.

I keep forgetting that turbos can blow if the pop off valve fails. I keep thinking the head gasket or piston will go first, but that is not always the case.

Coking up the rings can cause another type of ring failure that most people are not aware of. The coking causes the ring groove in the piston to elongate (get wider) in the vertical direction. I am not exactly sure why. Once the vertical ring gap in the piston gets too wide, the ring wears out, gets rounded at the edge, or cracks.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
How is this the fault of the oil? This is not a lubrication failure per se, but that of the owner/operator.

People just are not trained or educated to check the oil any more. It is just the way things are. A reality the manufacturers are aware of and deal with. In my opinion it is a lubrication related failure. If the car did not leak or consume oil, there would have been no failure.

I get your point completely, but there always is the issue of semantics. A dealer offering warranty or an oil company guaranteeing their oil isn't going to call it a lubrication related failure, since at least one of them will be on the hook for a genuine lubrication related failure. They won't want to cover operator negligence.

Of course, there are some lines to be drawn here, and your point indicates that. All engines consume some oil, so if the OEM OCI is sufficiently long, one should be cautious. On the other hand, if it's not a long OCI and the vehicle is fairly new, it shouldn't be leaking or consuming a whack of oil during the OCI.

Originally Posted By: Burt
So are you saying the conventional wisdom, that there is no point in paying for premium oils not required by manufacturer, is wrong? Are you saying that shorter OCI's are a good thing?

Really this is about playing the odds. The odds are more in your favor with a synthetic oil. The odds are more in your favor with normal OCI's. People on this web site are trained in how to evaluate a maintenance program using a UOA. I am taking a different point of view. Looking at engines that HAVE failed, what could have been done differently to prevent the failure? Dino oils and long OCI's don't test as well from this point of view as they do in UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back