'99 - '02 Acura TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to hear peoples opinions/experiences with this car bad or good. I was thinking about getting a very clean one with low miles under 100k with great body, interior and engine bay. Specifically wondering about the VTEC,any issues, what should I look out for? About $2-3k I would probably only use til winter and might sell to family member that uses vehicles sparingly, or keep longer if like it. Has some maintenance records from a tiny dealer that took on trade for older SUV supposedly. Would take my near 200k car for around half price, but have to drive a bit to look at, drive n have someone inspect it further. Worth my time?

I think these TLs were from the years of Honda's other-than-durable V-6 automatic transmissions. Aside from the transmission, I think the cars themselves were pretty good...back from when Acura (and all of the Asian luxury makes) were still building their reputations...so material quality was generally good, etc.

Owned one for 12 years. Pretty solid but transmissions are a real weak spot, especially on the 00-02 model years. Timing belt changes are expensive and likely ignored by many owners. The replacement schedule, iirc, is 7 years/90k, so it's not unlikely any used one of that vintage is about due. Rattles, digital display failure and seized brake calipers were issues for me, but not sure these problems are widespread.

+1 on being careful about the transmissions on these cars. I would also try to find out if the timing belt has been recently changed.

A friend bought one new and loved it other than the transmission. He drove the car 300,000 miles before trading it but it was ready for a 3rd factory replacement transmission at that mileage despite being regularly serviced. Acura picked up the tab on the 1st replacement just before 100K and I think paid for part of the next one (just before 200K) but at 300K he was on his own and decided to buy a new car.

Andrew S.

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys, yeah I'll probably pass on this, looking on some sites people seem to really like them or complaining about some of stuff you've noted, tranny, t belt, rust, etc. Plus its about an hr from me, thanx

I had an '02 CL. Amazing car, great heated seats, Bose and every option except Nav. But, the
trannies were a nightmare. Acura stepped up to the plate, fixing the tranny and giving me a
100K warranty. Go to Acura.com, give them the VIN and they will do the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back