Mobil1 0w-40 and Nissan GT-R requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen differences greater than 1/3rd. Besides, the differences are make/model specific and although the spread may vary, it is now consistently the case that dual clutch (and some AT) out accelerate manuals. Either way, the technology will continue to move away from the manual gearbox, to the displeasure of a few and appreciation of the rest.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The DCT owners will have an unpleasant surprise at some point.
When a manual needs only a relatively inexpensive clutch replacement, the DCT will be due for an expensive rebuild, which may well bring an end to the car's days on the road.
The lazy man's way of going fast may end up costing a whole lot more than anticipated.

You can make a proper DCT transmission to last, and at the same time, there exist manual transmissions that do not last. Just look at what manual transmission Ford put in the Mustang 5.0 for the past 5 years.

I'm in an unfortunate situation, I didn't realize my car was prone to DCT problems until after I bought it. Good thing someone finally built a rebuild kit, a few years ago, people were stuck buying a 100% new unit at an obscene price.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: edyvw

What a load of [censored]... shift way too slow... no place in these cars today...? Seriously...
The few seconds a lap a dual clutch auto gains on a race track means nothing...
The " But it shifts faster ..." argument is so utterly irrelevant to real world driving it's laughable...

It's funny how this was totally relevant when manuals shifted faster than so called "slush boxes" of recent memory, but put the shoe on the other foot and the argument becomes 'laughable'.
wink.gif

Exactly, sour grapes, nothing more. Just because someone can drive a stick makes the clueless a "real driver" in their own mind. LOL

GM's new 8L90 shifts faster than many automated manuals. So do others.

I love the "stick shift elites" who imagine they are better drivers because they drive one! So entertaining...

That is one nice unit. When GM puts their mind to it they can build technology that rivals anyone.
This tripe that only someone who can drive a stick is a good driver is beyond ridiculous.
Thats like saying the only great mathematician or scientist is one that uses a pencil and paper not the new generation that uses a computer that can do billions of calculations a second.

Rowing a stick is only one very small part of the equation just as the brain of the mathematician or scientist is using the pencil and paper or computer as a means to an end, they already have the idea.
The computer is not turning the average person into a great scientist just as the type of transmission is not making a decent driver into a competitive one.

I guess GM is building this so everyone that couldn't drive a Corvette can now buy one and cruise main street and show off. LOL

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/c...speed-lead.html

^ I agree. It's a bit overblown by the pro manaul folks. It's not that hard to drive a manual lol. I like manuals, but would not be opposed to owning a good AT/DCT/CVT.

The big advantage of the manual transmission is that it seems to keep the driver's head in the game of driving more than an automatic. Too many people put their vehicle in 'D' then zone out....

I guess to me having a high powered sports car,exotic,etc,is about the driving experience. If I wanted something that's all automated with fancy gadgets I'd get a high end luxury sedan. Having an automatic transmission (or some silly electronic push button shifter) in a sports car would be like having a standard transmission in a Lincoln Towncar.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Wonder what exactly made manuals begin to disappear? Back in the day,a manual transmission in a muscle car or a sports car was a make it or break it option.

What makes manuals disappear? Horrible education of average driver. Look around yourself: they drive 50mph in left lane thinking that is their constitutional right, never engage turn signal, tires look like my head (partly bold, partly cut to 0). THEY ARE NOT INTERESTED IN DRIVING! They are only interested to go from point A to point B, and while doing that, update status on Facebook, eat burger etc.
If I was a god for some time I would mandate manual transmission so people stop eating in the car, stop tweeting, stop updating Facebook status, and maybe loose some wight by not eating in the car, or save someone else life by not texting etc.
IS M3 DCT faster than manual? YES.
IS DCT easier to drive in city? YES
Is smoking cigars and drinking whiskey bad? YES. Am I doing it? Of course!
IS M3 with manual funnier? Yes.

I think good approach to this issue is to look at aviation and automatization of their job. Look at the crash of AF 447 and some other planes. A lot of pilots lost skill to cope with certain situations because of automatization. And same case is with drivers: Automatics, no oil dipstick, no spare tire, back up cameras (i think 70-80% of drivers today would not be able to pull out of garage just using mirrors, my wife included).
My take:
Mandate manual by law!

LOVE this! Yes!

Computers can shift better than humans... I get that, and can't argue against facts.

I can however, argue that driving a stick WELL takes a great deal more skill than driving an auto anything WELL.

it's a learned skillset, of decreasing importance in todays world, but I like the connection between driver and car that you don't get with an auto...

And nothing is more embarassing in life they being offered a drive in a sports car with a manual transmission, and having to reply... " Uhhh, yeah, thanks, but I don't really drive stick..."

Most would never say that though... they would say something like a previous poster about how manual tranny's don't belong in any modern sports car, and I would never drive one of THOSE cars...

Hey, to each his own... your 8 speed whatever auto can shift in 1/4 of a second and auto rev match downshifts... fantastic.

My "ancient..." 5 speed manual takes about 1+ seconds to execute a smooth shift... and I need to match revs old style, with my foot, but when I do it well, I feel just a touch of satisfaction ... job well done.

Cheers.

What was the topic of this thread again...?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Having an automatic transmission (or some silly electronic push button shifter) in a sports car would be like having a standard transmission in a Lincoln Towncar.

Just about every top end racing series has shifting by button, you know.
wink.gif
It trickled down from racing to the car industry, too.

To enjoy a manual transmission car,you probably have to be the type that LIKES to drive,and I love driving.

What's it like driving one of those exotic sports cars that have gated manual shifters?

Most cars I've owned have been stick. I love driving the automatics/DCT I've owned no less. I just love driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back