Edge 5w40 vs Edge 0w30 in BMW 3.0SI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm doing an oil change soon on my wifes BMW X3. It calls for either 5w30 or 5w40, and I've been running the latter, in edge 5w40.

She's going to be running on the highway a lot, and I was wondering if the 0w30 would give her slightly better MPG.

I usually change it every 6-8k miles. (10-12k kms)

Is the 0w30 comparable to the old GC?

I doubt you'll notice any difference in MPG.

With that said, Edge 0w-30 (as well as the 0w-40) are thought to be higher quality oils than the 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Hi guys,

I'm doing an oil change soon on my wifes BMW X3. It calls for either 5w30 or 5w40, and I've been running the latter, in edge 5w40.

She's going to be running on the highway a lot, and I was wondering if the 0w30 would give her slightly better MPG.

I usually change it every 6-8k miles. (10-12k kms)

Is the 0w30 comparable to the old GC?

It is, and MUCH better oil then 5W40 Edge. It is also better in your environment and climate.

If it's the 0w30, look out for the German/Belgian Castrol!

That stuff is actually a "true synthetic," as opposed to many of the US products labelled very similarly to this Castrol.

Its also reputed to have magical properties, and works well for extended oil changes. An 8K interval will be no problem for it.

Thanks guys,

I may go down that route. Bloody hard to find any BMW/ MB rated oils on sale these days. Regular price was 12.99 a litre !!!!!

Bloody hard to find any BMW/ MB rated oils on sale these days.

Does the Edge 0w-40 meet the specs you require? That's offered in a sensible size in Canada and you might find it on sale at Canadian Tire or Partsource. Also, rumour has it that M1 0w-40 is available now in the jugs in Canada.

Thanks guys,

I may go down that route. Bloody hard to find any BMW/ MB rated oils on sale these days. Regular price was 12.99 a litre !!!!!

Canadian Tire regularly puts Castrol 0W40 jugs or Mobil 1 0W40 jugs on sale for a semi-decent price. I'd look out for those sales and stock up on either one of those.

Both of those oils meet BMW LL-01 specifications, which is BMW's manufacturer approval for oils that are suitable for their vehicles. You should always look for a formally approved LL-01 oil regardless of viscosity grade listed on the bottle.

With that said, the Castrol 0W30 is also LL-01 approved, but there is really not much difference between it and the 0W40, and plus, it is not offered in jugs (which makes it much more expensive, especially here in Canada).

Thanks a ton guys. There isn't a BMW dealer close by, and C.T had the 0w40 Castrol on sale in the 5L size. I grabbed it and a couple of small jugs.

Thanks again.

Thanks a ton guys. There isn't a BMW dealer close by, and C.T had the 0w40 Castrol on sale in the 5L size. I grabbed it and a couple of small jugs.

Thanks again.

Good choice!!!
0W30 and 0W40 Castrols are same, I think difference are just viscosity modifiers.

Go with Castrol 0W30/0W40 over 5W-40.

I have run Castrol 0W30(GC) in my VW and I have the 0W40(BC) in it now as the current fill. I have not noticed any differences.

Mobile 1 0W40 is also another good oil option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back