Front brake issue w/ Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

A couple of weeks ago I changed the front brakes on my 2008 Corolla. I also changed the calipers and rotors using reman AC Delco 'loaded' calipers and AC rotors.
Tonight I noticed the smell of burning brakes emanating from the front drivers side after exiting the car. The wheel was pretty hot compared to the other side.

I'm assuming a stuck caliper pin....what else should I look for when I check it out tomorrow or Sunday?

It's ironic that the drivers side was also sticking before I changed all these parts...

Did you clean the oil off the rotors before installing them?

you will have to wait til the brake completely cool off before you can take your wheel off to inspect.

Suspect that your caliper has seized.

Q.

The flex hose can deteriorate inside and clog the inside with "mud". This prevents the fluid from flowing back slightly allowing the brakes to release. Usually happens on much older cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The flex hose can deteriorate inside and clog the inside with "mud". This prevents the fluid from flowing back slightly allowing the brakes to release. Usually happens on much older cars.

on a 08 corolla? I doubt it.

Q.

It is possible that the pad "ears" are binding in the abutment clips.

Did you remove the abutment clips from the caliper bracket and clean the rust out and apply some anti-seize between the clips and the caliper bracket?

A strong steel brush works well.

If the pad ears are binding in the "slots" that could be a common issue.

Whoops noticed it was a remanufactured caliper... So yank out the Slider (Guide) pins and use a quality silicone lube on them!

Last edited:
Falken said:
It is possible that the pad "ears" are binding in the abutment clips.

Did you remove the abutment clips from the caliper bracket and clean the rust out and apply some anti-seize between the clips and the caliper bracket?

I purposely bought loaded calipers (along with new rotors) so that I didn't have any problems with sticking guide pins, dirty clips etc....I'll take it apart when it's cool and see if I can spot the problem. Thanks guys...

Originally Posted By: cjcride
There is usually a grease paste on new rotors. I wonder if it was the burning smell?

I don't think so since I washed them pretty well and even light sanded them before installation.
I'm thinking a sticking caliper pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back