Whats the difference between Mobil Super Syn & M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once is naturally a little cheaper than the other, but I've never seen anything showing the difference between the two oils.

I just scored some of the Mobil Super Syn at AZ the other day for $3 a qt, figured it was a steal regardless. Its going in my 190,000 daily driver Civic. Whats a safe OCI for this stuff? I know Hondas are easy on oil anyway. I was thinking 7500-8000 miles?

are you talking about the very old M1 SuperSyn or the new Mobil Super Synthetic?

Anyway, there used to be a feature comparison chart on mobil's site, but I think it may be gone now, or at least I can't find it.

In general, M1 uses higher quality base stocks compared to Mobil Super Synthetic.

Here is an old copy of that chart...

MobilComparisonChart.png

All we really know is that MSS costs around four bucks a jug less than M1 and uses a somewhat different add pack.
MSS has a lot more calcium than M1, but M1 has magnesium instead.
ZDDP and moly levels are similar, while MSS has a whole lot more boron than M1.
The VI, NOACK and low temperature numbers suggest that M1 may use a more costly basestock blend then MSS when comparing the same grades.
There are a ton of UOAs of M1 here but only a handful of MSS.
That may not matter, though, since UOAs are very funny things.
They tend to be valid when they prove the point that a poster is trying to make, but are otherwise of no meaning.
Post UOA results as meaningful sometime and you'll get my drift.
We'll get a Canadian member misquoting what another Canadian member wrote about what some member from Australia who shares a surname with a Brit mountain climber who got knighted originally posted.
A bad scene any way you look at it.
I won't go there, although you could on your own.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 is a higher quality oil.

Maybe not. Mobil Super Synthetic has a higher flash point for some of the same viscosities than Mobil 1. I believe 10W30 is one of them if my memory is correct.

Marketing is a powerful thing.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Maybe not. Mobil Super Synthetic has a higher flash point for some of the same viscosities than Mobil 1. I believe 10W30 is one of them if my memory is correct.

Marketing is a powerful thing.

So, MSS is a better product AND it costs less? Wow... XOM is surely out to get us.

My only beef with MSS is it is essentially an auto parts store oil. At those prices you might as well buy real M1 at Walmart.

Good score though OP on the clearance!

Best bet is to stock up a little and buy the higher quality synthetic base stock oil on sale or with a rebate.

I recently bought 2 (5-quart) jugs of Mobil 1 EP for about $24 each and received a $24 rebate in return from Mobil.

I do not think it is worth it when M1 can be had for about the same price (I buy at WM and MSS only comes in QTs at the stores I have seen in my area). MSS fits a niche between MS5K and M1, but the price point does not justify its existence and so I am surprised that XOM still sells it.

my best ever UOA came from mobil Super Synthetic in 5w20. This was when it was new to the market and used the TI,calcium,sodium additive pack like its conventional brother.

MSS has changed to using moly,calcium,and boron. It is still a good oil and i wouldn't hesitate to use it OP. It has a high flash point and a decent add pack.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

^ look at all the synthetics from PQIA. The add pack is almost identical to Amsoil OE and Formula Shell FS. It should still be an excellent oil. I would say it is in between M1 and the house brands, on paper at least.

Last edited:
Good info, thanks for the PQIA links guys, for some reason I couldn't find them. Not the best oil out there but heck, for $3 a quart it'll do just fine in my 190k mile beater for awhile!

I don't know if I am hallucinating but I find that Mobil 1 Super Synthetic 3000 runs rougher in my Forester 2.5L engine than M1 or the Subaru brand oil.

However, it's still decent stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xil
API SL?

Yep, it has more additives than SM/SN allows for. I have no qualms about using it in a car that's out of warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back