Fix it or What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE
Bearings are shot on the ac compressor. Decision time: $1200 in parts/labor.

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon
The car is 15+ years old but in great shape otherwise. The repair is mostly labor due to the location of the air compressor (low on the engine and forward the passenger tire). You cannot get to it through the wheel well, have to drop the subframe.

If I don't fix it, what are the options? It's a third car/spare car for us, not critical, but we do depend on it to haul stuff.

Sell it up north where people can live without air and will value a rust free vehicle more than air.

Then buy a similar one in NC.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You've recently put money into it, you need it for business trips and you need AC. Sounds like your decision is made. What did you need us for again? Look at it this way..$1200 is 3 new car payments then you're money ahead again.
I'm on the fence. What can you do with a car with broken A/C? The bearings grind whether the A/C is engaged or not. The only thing I can think of is donate it to charity...who would buy it?

Selling the car means more room (for activities!) in the garage.
Lower insurance payments.
Renting a car for business trips (not on my dime).

Listen to what I said, and nobody else. Find a used compressor, change it yourself, and take it to a shop to have it recharged. $200 max. Doesn't get much simpler than that. Any other issues that I can fix for ya???

Just replace it yourself. If its a good car and this is the only problem just do it. Like was said before there are plenty of videos online showing yu how to get it out through the top without a ton of work.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Get one at a pick n pull, and replace it yourself. It's a 3rd vehicle. Who cares if it takes 3 weekends to replace it. Go to a shop and have it recharged. $200 total. Tops. Plus, you have the satisfaction of maintaining your own fleet.

This.

Devil you know. Solid otherwise. Very useful to you. Asking community since it is not a throwaway for you. I agree with Joe_Power to fix it.

And with others that $1200 is a very steep estimate.

You could just buy the pulley/clutch/bearing assembly for 60 bucks and just replace it yourself.
No need to open the a/c system and spend 1200 dollars on a new compressor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Compressor-Clutch-Global-4321291-/400629356605?fits=Year%3A2000|Make%3AFord|Model%3ATaurus&hash=item5d475ed83d&vxp=mtr

I could rent a car for a lot of times for that $1200 with my company's corporate discount. Hopefully you find a reasonable estimate or way of doing that. This is a spare and in an inhospitable hot place like NC and having another vehicle with running AC I would never drive this car with a ten foot pole.

This happens to my parents cars at around the 15-20 year mark. Once AC quits simply quit driving them in summer, the battery dies and the cars basically rot away till they call a wrecker.

Why not buy the AC compressor from RockAuto and put it in yourself?

That way all you have to do is pay for the refrigerant charge.

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon
The car is 15+ years old but in great shape otherwise. The repair is mostly labor due to the location of the air compressor (low on the engine and forward the passenger tire). You cannot get to it through the wheel well, have to drop the subframe.

If I don't fix it, what are the options? It's a third car/spare car for us, not critical, but we do depend on it to haul stuff.

Your only logical option, roll down the windows. I had to do it six years ago and I haven't really missed the a/c.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Sell it up north where people can live without air and will value a rust free vehicle more than air.

Then buy a similar one in NC.

I'm flying to Raleigh to buy exactly this in a couple days. PM me if you want to let it go for $350.
smile.gif

Although in fairness it's cheaper to keep her.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

Your only logical option, roll down the windows. I had to do it six years ago and I haven't really missed the a/c.

Not an option. The issue is occurring with the A/C off. It will seize in a matter of time.

plug in fan into cig lighter, point it torwards bucket of ice, ac works.

I had a 1999 Taurus. My brother had 3 Taurus/Sable vehicles of that vintage (long story). Every single one of them had A/C issues that cost $1200 or more. All my other vehicles have A/C and have never had a problem.

For mine, among other things I needed a single valve, only available from Ford. Ford has replaced the $90 valve with a $400 valve/hose assembly. The assembly has flex joints. I asked if the new assembly would fix the slow refrigerant leak problem the car always had. My mechanic said no, old and new had same kind of flex joints. Perhaps the aftermarket has addressed this now.

I had the A/C repair done for $1200 and enjoyed A/C for another 2 years before the car died, but it still needed a can every 6 months. The vehicle also needed other expensive repairs before it died, so my "investment" turned out to be a bad one. Perhaps other people have better luck with old Taurii.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Get one at a pick n pull, and replace it yourself. It's a 3rd vehicle. Who cares if it takes 3 weekends to replace it. Go to a shop and have it recharged. $200 total. Tops. Plus, you have the satisfaction of maintaining your own fleet.

The ones at the junkyard are also bad.

So sez the guy from Ohio!

Not likely in NC, impossible in TX, LOL!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

So sez the guy from Ohio!

Not likely in NC, impossible in TX, LOL!

My parents bought a NEW Ranger in NC with no A/C in 1986. It was a dealer trade from VA. Also had no clearcoat. It did have deep tint Super Cab and back windows though, lol.

It actually wouldn't have been that bad, except the truck was dark gray, had a vinyl interior, and a significant number of interior pieces like seat belt buckles were bright metal that got hot quickly. Back in 1986 though, my parents thought pickups were just supposed to have vinyl bench seats and no A/C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back