Coked Rings & Oil Burning Reduction Experiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

No disputing those numbers for showing an improvement. I'd say the Kreen treatment was well worth it for you.

It is amazing, I'm somewhat shocked to tell you the truth.

I expected this to be a "1st round" of treatments or switching to HDEO in an attempt to reduce it "some". Clearly, if this holds, the Kreen cleaned and/or loosened up the rings and the oil burning is much more tolerable.
smile.gif

It should hold, over the years I had similar success stories with another product, and it held. What I would suggest is retreating as PM every 20K miles, maybe sooner if the consumption spikes. One thing I will say is the Kreen worked very quickly for you which is another plus for the product!

So you did discover the miracle cure.
You should do the Saturn world a favor and post this thread as a link on some Saturn boards.
Who would have thought that Kreen would bring such dramatic results?

^^^I would have.

Kreen has worked fast and effectively here many times. Too many folks expect additives to fix their car when it's hopeless, and thus all additives get some bad press.

But Kreen has been around a long time and cheerfully refunds anyone who calls them on their warranty...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You should do the Saturn world a favor and post this thread as a link on some Saturn boards.

I already did post it a while ago.....
thumbsup2.gif

I just ordered some kreen. I'm going to try this. If it does not work in my sons saturn, i'm prepared to do a rebuild anyway.
I'm going to add berrymans b-12 to the oil cold and turn it over with out letting it do much more than run a second to circulate it. I'll turn in over a few times during the day and let it sit overnight. The next day i'm crank it and let it idle a bit , then drain the oil. I will add kreen to a 5w40 oil like rotella and run a 3k oci. I'm thinking the 14 oz of kreen might be the amount to use since it worked for you.

Other thoughts?

P.S. I may turn the car over after the oil change, with out letting it run to circulate the kreen.
The msds lists the flash point as 75 f. So i may turn over the engine a few times and let it sit before the engine gets hot and some of it evaporates off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I just ordered some kreen. I'm going to try this. If it does not work in my sons saturn, i'm prepared to do a rebuild anyway.
I'm going to add berrymans b-12 to the oil cold and turn it over with out letting it do much more than run a second to circulate it. I'll turn in over a few times during the day and let it sit overnight. The next day i'm crank it and let it idle a bit , then drain the oil. I will add kreen to a 5w40 oil like rotella and run a 3k oci. I'm thinking the 14 oz of kreen might be the amount to use since it worked for you.

Other thoughts?

P.S. I may turn the car over after the oil change, with out letting it run to circulate the kreen.
The msds lists the flash point as 75 f. So i may turn over the engine a few times and let it sit before the engine gets hot and some of it evaporates off.

I don't know about doing both..... but your choice.
smile.gif

Hope it works for you, but as you know, yours may be in worst condition. YMMV. Good luck!

Then engine does not have any sludge or i would never try it. It uses about 1 quart in 350 miles. So i don't have a lot to lose by trying. It has good compression and does not smoke at all. If it does not work i will rebuilt at a clutch change. Or before he starts grad school, i will just go head and rebuild and put in a new clutch so we don't have to worry about it while he is in school.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I already did post it a while ago.....
thumbsup2.gif

Good for you!
We can learn from the experiments of others, whether the results are positive or not.
I know that I have.
In this case, you may have made a real breakthrough in finding a pretty inexpensive solution to a problem that plagues all real Saturn engines.
If I ever find myself in the unlikely position of owning a real Saturn, I'll know exactly what to try first in reducing high oil consumption.
So will everyone else.

Other thoughts?

A man after my own heart. Try the miracle in a can first, you might get lucky like Turk did and save a lot of time and money in the process. Good luck!

A man after my own heart. Try the miracle in a can first, you might get lucky like Turk did and save a lot of time and money in the process. Good luck!

I must say, i did try a piston soak with b-12 a few years ago. it had some success but was short lived. This will be interesting or really boring!

This will be interesting or really boring!

For sure.

I don't know if its a hazardous material charge, but the shipping for a quart of kreen with a spray can of aerokroil is $12.95. $15.95 plus $12.95 shipping.
It should be here tomorrow.

I'm thinking about ordering a can of prevox spray. My garage is humid at times, and some tools can rust.

Anyone used the prevox rust preventative?

I don't know if its a hazardous material charge, but the shipping for a quart of kreen with a spray can of aerokroil is $12.95. $15.95 plus $12.95 shipping.

I'm thinking about ordering a can of prevox spray. My garage is humid at times, and some tools can rust.

I have not but I do use fluid film for that. I just keep a rag saturated with fluid film and give stuff a quick wipe down when putting away- works great!

With the Kreen, just add 3oz per qt of oil and run it a full 3K OCI. Add 1oz every 1K or 3oz for every qt of oil used.

Originally Posted By: Trav

With the Kreen, just add 3oz per qt of oil and run it a full 3K OCI. Add 1oz every 1K or 3oz for every qt of oil used.

Would you run a 40wt oil in place of the 30? Will the kreen reduce viscosity much?

FWIW we have always used it exactly as it is labeled, two cups in the oil and 2 cups in the gas. Our truck sumps are all 6 quarts and the gas tanks are around 30 gallons average.

Kreen also cleans our fixed orifice PCV which can be problematic as the mileage gets higher...

Originally Posted By: Trav

Would you run a 40wt oil in place of the 30? Will the kreen reduce viscosity much?

I would stick with the 30 grade oil [which is what I did]. Just keep an eye on the oil level, and top off using the ratio of Kreen to oil that Trav suggested. Kreen will flash off.

^ Right. 3 Oz per Quart is correct and what I used.

Another 200+ miles, same 2 Oz. usage. So far, so good!
thumbsup2.gif

Another update:

Changed from PYB to Castrol Edge Gold Bottle.
Ran it 400+ miles since then and it's down just 2-3 ounces.

The Kreen clean looks to be holding & it's doing well on the Edge!

My daughter 2006 Volvo V70 with 16x,xxx miles consumes up to 1 quart or more per 1k miles, I changed the PCV system(Volvo calls it Flame Trap) but it didn't slow the oil consumption rate. I also tried Rislone engine treatment 3 times and this didn't do much either.

I like to try Kreen but the problem is they don't ship it to California for environmental reason, I know that California is so weird because we are ran by extreme liberals(much more liberal than Minnesota and New York).

My brother is in Arizona, I may have to have Kreen ship to my brother home then he ships it to my home, paying shipping twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back