Will this NEW car ever be the SAME?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of my had his NEW Camry hit at the wheel, I don't think it will be the same with just the ONE bent item replaced. I personally cant believe that the strut is perfect and no sub assembly were flexed during the impact. My prediction... preplacing one part will never let the car hold an alignment as factory and or it will not ride/react/jounce the same or balanced.

Here's his story,

QUOTE....
This morning my daughter and I took the Camry in to be inspected and get an estimate. It is my daughter's vehicle and I want her to be involved in this process. The business we used has been in business for a long time and has a solid reputation. After they answered my questions concerning all the areas they would be inspecting I felt positive about them moving forward with the assessment of the damage. When they returned the results were positive. After checking the strut mounting bolts, holes, and the arm assy RR suspension No.1 (non adjustable arm) the only damage found was the bent arm assy No.2. I agreed to the estimate and the vehicle will be ready by this Wednesday.

LINK TO PHOTO OF READ ADJUSTMENT ARM DAMAGE

LINK to ANOTHER PHOTO OF DAMAGE

Sounds completely fine to me. If the shop has a good reputation there's nothing to worry about, if there was more damage believe me they'd be happy to bill him for it.

Check for stressed bushings at flex points in that general area. Stressed bushings may have light cracking which is difficult to see now but may cause problems down the road.

It will be fine. Suspension components, steering components are designed to absorb severe impact and not transfer excessive forces to the body of the car. You want this! consider those parts as sacrificial elements to protect your daughter's life.

Repair and then relax.

Get under the car with a rape measure and a straight edge.
Wishbones, track rods, drive shafts, CVs, damper, subframe *could* be bent, if you measure the good side and then measure the crashed side youll know if it's straight or not

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
It will be fine. Suspension components, steering components are designed to absorb severe impact and not transfer excessive forces to the body of the car. You want this! consider those parts as sacrificial elements to protect your daughter's life.

Repair and then relax.

This-that car will have much worse done to it. You should see how bad some potholes are......

Originally Posted By: Olas
Wishbones, track rods, drive shafts, CVs, damper, subframe *could* be bent, if you measure the good side and then measure the crashed side youll know if it's straight or not

Wouldn't it be better to be gentle, and get the car's permission?

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

At least take it out to dinner...

Get your SAIs when they do the alignment. If both sides are in spec and similar to one another, it is good as new. If they are NOT, then there's still something in there that's wonked and needs further evaluation

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Here's his story,

QUOTE....
This morning my daughter and I took the Camry in to be inspected and get an estimate. It is my daughter's vehicle

Obligatory woman driver comment.

**stands and applauds**

It will be fine, its a tube and the weakest link. The other components took a impact but are rubber mounted and took the impact sideways and the bushings and strut mount flexed.
If the bushing and mount were old and dried out then maybe they would need to be replaced but not on this.

I suspect if anything the rear hub and ABS sensor may have take a good jolt an may not live to full life expectancy but thats grasping at straws looking for possibilities.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

It'll never be the same. The first scratch (or accident) is always the worst.

Thing is, let's say some suspension component now has its expected lifespan cut in half. How long before that will be an issue?

Rear toe is all that adjustable on that suspension. If camber is out of range, then you can use smaller camber bolts to gain .75 degrees of adjustability

Just hoping you did not get under the car with that garbage jack in photo. My guess it will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back