Mobil1 AFE 0w20 in 2014 Mazda3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
One of the features of the Mazda Skyactiv engines is an electronically controlled variable pressure oil pump. The primary purpose is fuel economy - minimizing parasitic drag, but might it not also ensure adequate oil pressure regardless of viscosity?

Great question. Of course only if it closes the loop on oil pressure itself!! Possible, although I'd guess it just follows a set schedule of oil volume vs. RPM.
My investigations centered around just whether or not an engine computer can detect low-ish oil pressures due to fuel dilution and/or VII shearing-breakdown over time. Or maybe oil oxidation or soot loading producing high viscosity. So many DI engines have this fuel dilution problem (not just Mazdas) that its something we have to consider now. DI is here to stay.

If the Mazda variable oil pump is like the GM one: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/26274/Oil-pump-Chevrolet-Cruze
then it depends only on an RPM schedule, not oil pressure feedback (relief valve only).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
Trying running premium fuel. It has shown to make a big difference and reduce fuel dilution to a bare min.

I have 7,500 miles on EP 0w20 in the same engine. Will sample soon.

Originally Posted By: adamgirard
So I looked in the Maintenance schedule from Mazda and the OCI is listed as 7,500 for severe driving conditions (NY) and 10,000 miles otherwise.

Someone has to re read its owner's manual again

wp4OAPU.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Originally Posted By: buster
Trying running premium fuel. It has shown to make a big difference and reduce fuel dilution to a bare min.

I have 7,500 miles on EP 0w20 in the same engine. Will sample soon.

Unlike your NJ governor, that 0w-20 is probably thin by now.

Probably not. I have run 7,500-10k OCIs in a skyactiv using W20 oils and premium fuel and no signs of thinning in mine.

My wife drives a 2013 Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv-G. Her commute is short, so I worry about the fuel dilution. So, I use Castrol EP 5W30 and change it according to Schedule 2. I figure if the manual recommends Castrol and 5W30 for Mexico[no CAFE nazis there], it should serve her well.

Thanks for the tip on the 91+ octane fuel. I will pass it on to her.

Last edited:
With experiments one always want to limit the variables, so while I'm interested in running 91 and seeing if that solves the fuel dilution, should I simply keep everything the same (87 octane, ~7,000 miles between changes) now that I have the Mazda oil and filter on the car to directly test the two oils and then try the 91 octane? I realize this might take the course of a year to test all of these things, but wouldn't it be better to pinpoint what's best/most cost effective for the engine?

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
My wife drives a 2013 Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv-G. Her commute is short, so I worry about the fuel dilution. So, I use Castrol EP 5W30 and change it according to Schedule 2. I figure if the manual recommends Castrol and 5W30 for Mexico[no CAFE nazis there], it should serve her well.

Thanks for the tip on the 91+ octane fuel. I will pass it on to her.

You're right. Use a 30 and the fuel will dilute it down in no time to a 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back