Running M1 0w-40 in a vehicle spec'd for 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any real harm here? Benefits?

I realize a lot of posts will be geared towards "run what your manufacturer specs" but really looking for opinions on pros/cons, warranty aside.

Personally, I am gonna go out on a limb and say it may hurt fuel mileage and be a little thick especially if you have a "real winter" where you live

You'll lose a few percentage points of fuel economy, likely not enough to measure.

You'll also get scolded by various members at BITOG.

Originally Posted By: jdavis

I realize a lot of posts will be geared towards "run what your manufacturer specs" but really looking for opinions on pros/cons, warranty aside.

Ran it a couple of times in the summer in a 3.5 l Honda spec'ing 5w20 ...

Engine seemed quieter, and oil consumption dropped. No noticeable impact on fuel economy... still got about the same # of km's per tank... engine performance was the same...

So, entirely unscientifically speaking, it seemed to work well...!

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

You'll also get scolded by various members at BITOG.
So !

Originally Posted By: geeman789

Engine seemed quieter, and oil consumption dropped. No noticeable impact on fuel economy... still got about the same # of km's per tank... engine performance was the same...

Interesting post, thanks

My biggest question - will it do ANY damage over the long term?

Interesting post, thanks

Damage? Absolutely not.
However it may not be optimal but no harm will come at all.

Look into what is specified in Europe and Australia. My guess is this markets allow different grades based on climate and duty cycle so have a gander at those suggestions.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Interesting post, thanks

Damage? Absolutely not.
However it may not be optimal but no harm will come at all.

Look into what is specified in Europe and Australia. My guess is this markets allow different grades based on climate and duty cycle so have a gander at those suggestions.

Thanks!

Almost all Honda engines can run any oil you throw at it. The question is what you gain and what you loose for running 2 grades thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The question is:
Will 0W-40 fit into the bearing clearances?

If not, your engine is gonna lock up!

Not that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.

LOL. Some of these comments are comical.

My 2009 Corolla is a world car...meaning its parts are globally universal. The North American oil spec is "only" 0w20 5w20...yet the rest of the world spec is 0w20 all the way to 20w50.

Fresh quality oil at regular reasonable intervals is the most important element to having the engine last to maximum lifespan.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Almost all Honda engines can run any oil you throw at it. The question is what you gain and what you loose for running 2 grades thicker oil.

In my case, I "gained..." lower oil consumption, almost 50 % less over a 6000 mile OCI, and engine seemed quieter.

Don't think I "lost..." anything.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

In my case, I "gained..." lower oil consumption, almost 50 % less over a 6000 mile OCI, and engine seemed quieter.

Don't think I "lost..." anything.

Then I'd say stick with what is working best.

Owners need to remember that even at temps of 80 or 90*F... the 20 grade oil is 4 or 5 times thicker than that 40 grade is at 212*f , typically around the operating temp of the engine.

Every time you start your car cold, your oil is way too thick.... and it takes 15 minutes or so to get to operating temp... and nothing bad happens. The oil makes it into all those tight bearing clearances just fine...

And once up to operating temps, the difference between a 20 grade and a 40 grade is really quite small in absolute terms... it's not like molasses vs water by any stretch.

Your car may not "need..." thicker oil, but it certainly won't hurt anything, if used in appropriate temps.

By the time any vehicle I own that specs 0W/20 gets to 1,000,000 miles, I expect I will be considering running 0W/40. But I won't, until either dropping pressure or high consumption signal the need. But that is just me....And I am a cheap b@stard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back