Lurking Oil Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

I've been a long time lurker with moderate car repair experience (way more than most Americans but less than many on these boards). It fascinates me how into motor oil some people get. I understand if you're racing or something of that nature. But it flabbergasts me that someone commuting to work asks if oil X or oil Y is a better oil. Sheesh. I ran a 74 Toyota Corona Mark II for 250k on whatever filter and oil were cheapest. I ran a Nissan Pathfinder on Dino in summer and Syn in winter for 295k miles with Orange Cans of Death. Whatever was on sale. I now run an 02 Civic Si on anything from Oreillys Dino, NAPA syn, Quaker State syn, Havoline Dino, Mobil 1, etc. Whatever I can find for cheap in anything from 0w20 to 0w40 weights. Had an older Civic I'd run on leftover quarts from the lawnmower, snowblower, and cheap store brands for $1.25 per quart. NEVER have had oil issues. If it has that little starburst logo it really doesn't matter unless you're running a turbo that needs HT06 or Dexos. Some people run syn in their lawn mower? What? My lawn mower was $110. I'd only run syn if I had a half quart of syn leftover. Otherwise my lawn mower gets 10w30 and the rest gets dumped into my Civic because it won't hurt anything. Anyone running syn in a lawn mower engine needs to give me $5 and let me change their oil. My parents have two mowers I used to mow lawns with when I was young that still run. And, half the time, we wouldn't change oil after winter. Rant over. But, honestly, this website is entertaining!

Some folks have FarFetched ideas...
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No way, Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 all the way in the mowers!

My push lawnmower has about 3 years and 3.4 miles. Is that high mileage? The engine is made in China. I'm thinking the fact it's made in China will kill it before Jon Smith 10w30 does. How about the fact I threw some gas/oil mix in it last year I was trying to get rid of from a weed eater? Ran like [censored] for a tank. Kept running bad. Then I changed the spark plug. It was slightly fouled lol. Runs great now.

I didn't know the "c word" (c-r-a-p) was censored on the Internet. Lol

Originally Posted By: wemay
Some folks have FarFetched ideas...
cool.gif

"Should I run Mobil 1 or PP 5w30 for a 5-8k change interval?" Well, obviously PP because it's made from natural gas. But honestly...

I totally get the extended drain interval talk. But...wow. "Will it hurt my car to dump 1/8 quart of 10w30 I have sitting around into it if the sump holds 5 quarts and..." *facepalm*

We all know this Yup. Even the fanatics. But they are fanatics. It's what they do. It's how their brains work. To each their own.

But for me, I run whatever I want in crankcase.

The old used up oil that drain out of my Subaru and Honda, gets fed to my truck for top-off oil. I just change the filter once a year.

Originally Posted By: Yup

My push lawnmower has about 3 years and 3.4 miles. Is that high mileage? The engine is made in China. I'm thinking the fact it's made in China will kill it before Jon Smith 10w30 does. How about the fact I threw some gas/oil mix in it last year I was trying to get rid of from a weed eater? Ran like [censored] for a tank. Kept running bad. Then I changed the spark plug. It was slightly fouled lol. Runs great now.

Well you made the choice to buy a cheap mower; i get it, it works!

Some people do have problems with their mowers and sometimes oil can be the cause to put it to the scrapyard! One quart of synthetic oil once every year or two is small change for a hot air cooled engine.

Some people are interested in the theory of why one type of oil might be slightly more or less ideal for a particular application. Maybe they think it can make a slight difference in long term wear, or fuel efficiency, or protection under maximum loads. That doesn't mean the difference is going to be obvious, but people still like to theorize on what is most optimal.

People ask about oil mixing because not everybody knows that it's safe to do so. Considering how important oil is, it's a good question to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back