Its 1999, which oil and filter would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle gave me some cardboard cans of the Pennzoil with "Z-7" additive? in it
smile.gif

The oil varied, but I used a lot of house-branded WalMart oil filters. IIRC, they were about $1.39 or $1.49 each. These were the ones made by Champion labs, were not E-Core filters, and had the little chart on the side of the box that boasted how much better they were than the orange filter. I bet if I looked hard enough, I might still be able to find one in my possession somewhere. I do remember that the 3600 filter used to be made in Mexico, but I was (at the time) happy that they went to the E-Core filters because suddenly the 3600 filter was made in USA.
In some ways, I miss the good old days.

Worked at a GM dealership at that time.
AC Delco filter and bulk Kendall Conventional 10W30
3K mile OCI

Last edited:
Pretty sure QSHM 10W-40 was around in 1999, that's what I'd use in my personal vehicle. I would have kept QSGB and Havoline 30, 10W-40, and 20W-50 around for other machines. Also would have kept some Exxon Superflo in same weights.

In 1999, I drove a 1986 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL, the W126 chassis with a gas engine. Filter was Mann, and oil was Valvoline, 10W-30 in the winter in Denver and 20W-50 in summer. (The owner's manual indicated different viscosities depending on the temps you expected to see before the next oil change.)

When I brought the 420 to Loozyana in 2001, I went with Chevron Delo 15W-40.

Castrol conventional 10w30 and Fram OCOD.

1. 1994 Eagle Summit Van
2. 1995 Honda Accord
3. 1999 Honda CRV replaced the Summit in the middle of 1999

I was using Pennzoil 10w40. I don't remember if the change happened in 99, but I was using Fram orange cans until they added that texture grip thing. Then I switched to ACDelco PF52. I wanted a filter I could put a socket on.

If I were making the decision today, considering the state of the vehicle I was driving, I'd look for some high mileage 10w40 or 15w40 instead of the generic yellow bottle. Maybe even 20w50. But really, it wouldn't make much difference. I had an aftermarket cam on a worn out 4cyl flat tappet pushrod with blowby and oil leaks, I hacked up things I didn't understand, and I drove like gas was free. That engine was doomed.

In 1999, I was in university, and had just bought that summer a 1991 Toyota Corolla SR-5 2-door, dark metallic blue with almost all the options - power sunroof, cruise, air, pop-up headlights...it was an awesome car.

I worked at a WM store, and it got oil changes there with bulk PYB 5W-30 and a Fram every 3k like clockwork. I was also big into additives, so it got a lot of Duralube, molyslip, Wynn's, or whatever else caught my fancy put into it...ran like a top, barely used any oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back