Its 1999, which oil and filter would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1999 my 1989 F-150 was using Mobil 1 10W-30 with a Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter. My 1996 Ford Contour was using Mobil 1 5W-30 with a Motorcraft FL-200S oil filter. In 1997 & 98 I was using Castrol and other 5W-50 oils in the Contour. Didn't kill the car but hurt the seat of the pants power feel and my gas mileage. For my type of driving there was no point in using it as the car is spec'd for 5W-30.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Whatever Namebrand dino was on sale at the lowest price.
This usually amounted to Havoline or Exxon Superflo with some Sunoco oil as well (many times for $0.00 with a mail in rebate.)
Filters were generally Purolator or Motorcraft.

Pennzoil yellow bottle with z-7 or whatever it was called then. AC Delco filters.

I did change to mobil 1 and AC Delco ultraguard gold sometime around then.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
SL/GF-3 Havoline Dino!

I'm pretty sure we were still using SJ in 1999.

I still have some unopened oil from 1999 (and earlier).

Mobil 1/Wix filter. That is what I used then, and what I mostly use now. The oil has changed......But it was good then, better now.

I also still have the same wife from back then, as well. Since 1973, actually. In '73, I used Castrol and Purolator filters. It was a different era.

I was using Fram filters and I even put in Teflon oil and lived to tell about it. So embarrassing, but car still running today.

Straight 40 non detergent cuz i is old school and you need the protection of the thick stuff, a couple of bottles of STP for the "you cant hold a screwdriver" slippery-ness, and some lucas because the bottle says its good. And change it when it gets dark.

All joking aside, I would use what I do today, QSGB and motorcraft (or similar for non Fords)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Darren270
Valvoline conventional and a Fram. I still remember the price: $1.09 per quart at Wal-Mart.

This for me.
Either Valvoline or Castrol GTX.
Back in 99 I didn't want Pennzoil because it had wax in it.
smile.gif

I would go with castrol gtx. I think this was also the age where motor oil was basically a waste product and so was a loss leader and under $1 a quart While synthetics were $4 or more.

Now they can turn anything into anything else so they make and price conventional just to capture the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back