Air bleeder valve on a 2001 Chevy 3.8L V-6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm flushing the neglected cooling system on an '01 Camaro w/95K. Is there an air bleeder valve in the system?

Also, I pulled P0171 and P0174 codes ("Service Engine Soon" is the CHECK ENGINE light on these cars).
The list of causes is not terribly long.
MAF sensor (I cleaned it)
A misfire (at 95K the plugs should be changed I suppose. Of course there's no history)

Does anyone here know these codes and how they live in this engine? Thanks, Kira

Kira,
my Caprice is a longitudinal 3.8 (supercharged, 'though), and has the thermostat at the firewall end. There's three bleeds, but that's because the engine is bassackward sort of.

The NA versions have one on the thermostat housing, which should be similar on the Camaro...not sure at the firewall end.

Too lean bank 1 and 2.
Quote:
Common Problems That Trigger the P0171 and P0174 Code

1* PCM software needs to be updated
2* Vacuum leaks (Intake Manifold Gaskets, vacuum hoses, PCV hoses, etc.)
3* Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
4* Plugged Fuel Filter or weak Fuel Pump
5* Plugged or dirty Fuel Injectors

Common Misdiagnosis

Oxygen Sensors

1* Unlikely on this engine.
2* Very possible
3* Very possible especially on this engine
4* Possible but unlikely without some other symptoms.
5* Possible but unlikely to be dirty enough on both banks.

Hello, There is a bleeder on the metal pipe the upper radiator hose attaches to. Hold with a 10mm-turn with a 7mm.

I changed the fuel filter today as it's a straightforward T&E fix.
It's been suggested I take a fuel pressure reading. That'll be tomorrow.
I'm now looking for instructions regarding changing the intake manifold gasket as it's a likely cause.
I also need to ascertain what the plenum gasket is as some kits have a plenum gasket while others do not.
Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back