Clay bar and wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
you can tell that Jenny is from MS it isn't all rusted up like cars that age here. I love Cars from the south. I have a relative in Picayune, MS. I enjoy driving down and going to Cruise on the Coast in the fall.

I live about 45 mins away. In fact one of my sons went to Picayune Memorial High. Roll Tide

But yes rust is virtually non existent. I always find it ironic seeing how I live only 10 miles from the largest body of salt water on the planet.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Originally Posted By: Clevy
That body style with a 3.8 is one of the best ever built. Good power,fantastic durability,ease of parts availability make them desirable even today.
They had good comfort,lots of room and I had a friend who got 30+mpg highway religiously.
Great cars. Paint still looks decent too.

Nice work

Yes, its a good car. I went on a 6 hour trip to see my son at his campus, I averaged 31mpg there and back, but it normally sees about 28 which isn't bad at all. Old Bonneville hardly broke 20's.

Those cars are great. My 3.1 Century is fantastic on gas as well. It makes you wonder with all the modern engine tech today those old V6's with a 4 speed OD tranny do quite well on gas, even comparing them to today's offerings in a V6.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Clevy
That body style with a 3.8 is one of the best ever built. Good power,fantastic durability,ease of parts availability make them desirable even today.
They had good comfort,lots of room and I had a friend who got 30+mpg highway religiously.
Great cars. Paint still looks decent too.

Nice work

Yes, its a good car. I went on a 6 hour trip to see my son at his campus, I averaged 31mpg there and back, but it normally sees about 28 which isn't bad at all. Old Bonneville hardly broke 20's.

Those cars are great. My 3.1 Century is fantastic on gas as well. It makes you wonder with all the modern engine tech today those old V6's with a 4 speed OD tranny do quite well on gas, even comparing them to today's offerings in a V6.

I know what you mean, always surprised me how the Regal (while not a extremely large car) can get the same mileage as the smaller fiber glass Saturn's/Cavaliers of the same day. A manual will beat it but automatic vs automatic not much difference except my engines considerably larger and a good bit heavier.

Not that I noticed the clay bar adding any scratches. Wasn't looking for it however.

I have a glossy black Honda Ridgeline. I've used clay bar for three years.
No scratching from the bar has ever been noticed by me...and I am a picky fella.

I also turn my clay and fold it often. Use loads of spray lube while using the bar. I also buy a new, clean bar every year.

What causes scratches more than anything else?? Improper washing technique.

I used to use a single wash bucket method for years. I finally came to realize that I wash scratching my paint. I then went to a two-bucket method. It worked much better to prevent micro-scratches. Now, years later....I use a three-bucket wash to ensure even less scratching. Nothing looks worse than a black vehicle that looks like a spiders web in the sun.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Not that I noticed the clay bar adding any scratches. Wasn't looking for it however.

No scratching from the bar has ever been noticed by me...and I am a picky fella.

I also turn my clay and fold it often. Use loads of spray lube while using the bar. I also buy a new, clean bar every year.

I used to use a single wash bucket method for years. I finally came to realize that I wash scratching my paint. I then went to a two-bucket method. It worked much better to prevent micro-scratches. Now, years later....I use a three-bucket wash to ensure even less scratching. Nothing looks worse than a black vehicle that looks like a spiders web in the sun.

It didn't scratch my paint. A previous poster said claying his car scratched it up.

I was just telling him I hadn't noticed any scratches myself but I wasn't looking for them tho.

Last edited:
Looks great! I used to do my 98 Regal GS often.

I really need to the truck and the Grand Prix. It is just, well the truck is 22 feet long.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

It didn't scratch my paint. A previous poster said claying his car scratched it up.

I was just telling him I hadn't noticed any scratches myself but I wasn't looking for them tho.

Yep....I knew that. Just adding my experiences to the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back