What ever happened to Saturn's plastic body panels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why have no main stream auto makers done this, it seemed to be the one thing that Saturn did right, Maybe not the best example considering they no longer exist)

Partly (my speculation) due to the ever-so-stringent NHTSA crash test requirements, which, when plastic body panel being used on certain areas (such as front fender), does not really helped in contributing to better collision outcomes.

One of the most recent (stringent) one that most smaller vehicles failed up and until 2014 model year is the small frontal overlap test:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ratings-info/frontal-crash-tests

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/new-crash-test-shakes-up-car-safety-ratings.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvs7A8tMqkk

Q.

Whenever I see an old Saturn door dings are non-existent. However, most have faded paint by now.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Whenever I see an old Saturn door dings are non-existent. However, most have faded paint by now.

Just a good reason to wash and wax them regularly. Not to change the subject but I'v seen very few 10-15 year old Buicks with good paint.

The Corvette since 1984 has been using molding plastics for its body. 1982 is the last year of fiberglass.

I hope these crash tests represent the real world and do contribute to safer cars.

These tests are run against barriers but when a small car hits a big car it's got to be difficult for the smaller car.

Last summer a Tahoe had a head on with a Smart Car. The Tahoe sustained damage that totaled the vehicle but with no injuries to the passengers. The Smart Car was absolutely destroyed and the driver was killed. It took the fire department quite a bit of time to extract his body from the wreckage.

It appears that driving a bigger vehicle might be a lot safer when involved in collisions with smaller vehicles but that is not represented in these current crash tests.

I have a 2003 Staurn with the plastic panels. They have held up wonderfully. Not too lng ago, I read an article about these panels saying that GM gave up on them because of the large number of complaints received about the large gaps between fenders and ddor and between the doors that were required due to thermal expansion of the plastic. According to this article, folks want small gaps that only metal can offer.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I hope these crash tests represent the real world and do contribute to safer cars.

These tests are run against barriers but when a small car hits a big car it's got to be difficult for the smaller car.

Last summer a Tahoe had a head on with a Smart Car. The Tahoe sustained damage that totaled the vehicle but with no injuries to the passengers. The Smart Car was absolutely destroyed and the driver was killed. It took the fire department quite a bit of time to extract his body from the wreckage.

It appears that driving a bigger vehicle might be a lot safer when involved in collisions with smaller vehicles but that is not represented in these current crash tests.

Know where I can get a Greyhound bus, used. I'm ascared.

I don't know about thermal expansion, but I've never had any issues with my old Fiero where GM learned a bit about this technology. The Fieros were heavy tho with their steel framing to 'hang' the plastic on.

When I jack one corner of a saturn s-series, its space frame keeps it stiff whether or not a door is open. In fact, with the rear on jack stands, I started jacking a front corner and the whole car lifted without complaint.

I think it's a noise/ harshness thing, the plastic doesn't really help with road drone or the car is under insulated compared to its competition. It has other Trabant-like qualities, good and bad.
wink.gif

I believe current BMW front quarter panels are thermoplastic.

The e92 (Prev gen coupe) had them starting in '07-'08

Last edited:
There was a News story about when Saturns first came out and the initial batch was sitting in the yard in Tennessee to be shipped to dealers, the door and/or body panels swelled and they couldn't get the doors opened.

Last edited:
One of the original Saturn engineers posted this over at Saturnfans:

Quote:
Towards the end of the S-series production we were selling virtually a 10 year old basic design against the very latest that Toyota etc. could produce. The result proved to be pretty reliable but chronic noise, vibration, & harshness (NVH) issues were largely baked in for the duration of the design. In hindsight maybe the 2 Billion spent on Spring Hill could have been largely saved by refurbishing one of GM's many mothballed assembly plants. That may have left more money for fresh product.

Saturn engineer Z-Car thread

His post starts at #4.

I drive a Z-Car...I mean S-Car.
smile.gif
I still see alot of Saturns like mine on the road and in the junk yard. More cheap parts for me.

I have battled noise, vibration, and harness through ownership. One thing I noticed going from a 93 Sentra to a 99 SL2. The Sentra seemed much more refined.

I have a lot of rattles at 251,000 miles. Runs great. Handles great. Easy to repair. Yes! Refined not so much. It is so "80's" or perhaps "70's" is some ways. One reason I like it.

The way the panels were made,the unacceptable count was off the charts.GM threw a lot of malformed panels away.And we know GM doesn't waste money.Like that $5.00 they saved by leaving off a sway bar on early Corvairs..

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Know where I can get a Greyhound bus, used. I'm ascared.

I heard, from a former co-driver, that anyone can get behind the wheel of a semi-truck. Its just when you adda trailer, as he said, do you need the Class A.

There is a way to look at this: you want to reward designers for improvement within the constrain of the design. You want small cars that are safer than yesterday's small cars, rather than obsoleting small cars completely and having everyone going into large unsafe cars.

As a government policy maker, you want the entire country to be safer together than just an arm race between big vs small cars. Categorizing the competition within its class is a good way to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back