06 Ford Explorer V6, GC 0-40, 4400mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my first OCI with this vehicle, I ran the GC 0-40 and it seemed to have worked well through a PA winter. My real concern was "what was in there from the past", that is the main reason I pulled it @ 4500mi. A good bit rural-driving, some hi-way with MANY warm up sessions (idle). The 4.0 probably used less than a 1/4 of a qt during this OCI. My guess is that this was the first time it has seen synthetic oil. Whats up with the titanium ? I think Castrol uses it in there USA stuff, but not GC...maybe I am wrong. I would think there would be other indicators if it was valves or bearings..... But I'm no expert.

What do you guys think ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3zO1r5Uwr9rV0hfcDBEMkdwUU0/view?usp=sharing

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Whats up with the titanium ?

It's an additive. Latest GC 0w-40 now has it, too, and Blackstone should know it because they did a VOA on it not too long ago...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...str#Post3535964

Your report looks fine to me. The TBN took a fairly quick dive, but that's probably because it's your first time running this oil. Next time around it should hold up better.

Looks good to me. There won't be any titanium wearing engine parts in an 06 Explorer. You can go longer on your OCI. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Very nice to see a VOA. Thank you

That was a UOA, here is a VOA on both 0w-30 and 0w-40: Click Right Here, BullsEye Here...

Your last oil fill on the Ford V6 must have had some moly and boron in it, as it showed up this time, other common AntiWear additives left over. Few oils use titanium though.
Notice your used 0w-40 actually has the viscosity of a 30 weight now, original viscosity at 100 degrees C was 12.8, used it dropped to 10.9 with not much fuel dilution to blame either. Not a problem just interesting.

Last edited:
This is what I have up for the next few oil changes in my F150 Eco-Boost. I bet this could go 7.5k no problem based on your numbers.

Looks good to me, disappointing viscosity retention IMO but it didn't hurt a thing.

Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Looks good to me, disappointing viscosity retention

According to the Blackstone VOA, the starting viscosity is 12.8 cSt, so it only dropped about 15%. Not that much, IMO, especially considering that OP mentioned doing "warm up sessions" which likely caused excessive fuel dilution condition at some point even if not visible at the time this sample was taken.

Your right KC it is a light 40wt.....I wanted to get as heavy of a 30wt as possible, especially over winter due to shearing. I was not really looking for a 40wt, but did not want a lighter 30wt that would shear to a 20.

Having a 2yo daughter around means we let this thing idle excessively, long enough that the inside temp is 70 degrees or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back