Need advice on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in Sig Driven hard sometimes, using Fram Tough Guard 7317.

Choices are all dino 5w30, valvoline, quaker or pennzoil.

Replacing valve cover, no sludge visible.

All your choices sound fine if you don't go extended OCI's. Go with whatever is cheapest or readily available or what ever mood you're in.

if no leakage or oil loss, stick with this grade and dino as there is no need to change to
synthetic unless you extend oci.

Originally Posted By: jacky
i would an hm oil because you have high miles

Absurd.

If there's no leaks nor consumtion exactly what point is there.

I guess you missed the posts about reading more eh.

Why? HM oils have a purpose, namely to help reverse some neglected maintenance practices. But if maintained well, just continue on doing what you are doing. No need for HM oils if well maintained.

Maybe don't drive it so hard. I stopped when I was 18 and blew the output shaft in my 1965 Mustang's 3 speed transmission (with Hurst shifter).

Now I drive conservatively as I do not want to have to fix anything.

I would not use a HM oil. No need for seal swellers if you have no seal leaks.

All oils have seal swellers regardless if hi MI or not. It's part of the API SN rating.

Sounds like you're doing fine with this engine.
Out of the oils you've named, PYB or QSGB.
VWB is okay too, but not everyone likes the sodium add pack and it has no moly.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Sounds like you're doing fine with this engine.
Out of the oils you've named, PYB or QSGB.
VWB is okay too, but not everyone likes the sodium add pack and it has no moly.

I never understood why people hate sodium add packs. Sodium is a very powerful cleaner.

Originally Posted By: BrianC

Why? HM oils have a purpose, namely to help reverse some neglected maintenance practices. But if maintained well, just continue on doing what you are doing. No need for HM oils if well maintained.

I bought 5 qts of Valvoline Maxlife on clearance yesterday. It is going into my wife's Focus I see no issues in using a HM oil. It has API certifications for a reason.

With the exception of working on a drilling rig exploring actively for Sinclair Corporation, every drilling rig I worked on for every major independent oil producer used Chevron lubricants. Period. To me, that speaks volumes.

Originally Posted By: DarthDuty
Vehicle in Sig Driven hard sometimes, using Fram Tough Guard 7317.

Choices are all dino 5w30, valvoline, quaker or pennzoil.

Replacing valve cover, no sludge visible.

We recommend our Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30 motor oil for your application DarthDuty. Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage is specifically formulated to help prevent sludge and other damaging deposits. In addition, it will actually help cleanup older engines by gently lifting sludge deposits off of engine surfaces (and dissolving them safely into the oil, so that these deposits can be taken out of the engine at your next oil change). - The Pennzoil Team

Ol jacky is back with more bad advice lol

If you don't have a problem don't fix it seems like what you are using should be fine I'm not a fan of fram but hey if it works for you keep on doin it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back