Faulty new strut mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put on some moog strut assemblies on the front of the cavalier a couple weeks ago. It feels a lot better to drive but about a week after installation and alignment, the mount on the passenger side has started sounding like it's bad. Honestly it sounds like a creaky barn door when I turn at low speed. I've isolated the sound to the mount. I bought the assemblies through Amazon, I haven't contacted the seller about a replacement just yet. Should I request and exchange for a whole new assembly or see if I can just get a mount from them? The reason I'd prefer a mount to a whole new assembly is that the coil springs have just settled and I'd rather not have to swap out both sides, or ride with an uneven front end.

I had aftermarket KYB strut mounts failed on be before (on a Monroe replacement strut installation): the darn thing makes some odd squeaks when going throught parking lot bumps.

I had to resort to paying more for factory OEM strut mounts and the squeaks went away.

From that day onwards: I insisted in either (a) get monroe quickstruts (loaded assembly) or (b) buy new OE replacement strut mounts to service strut replacements.

For (a), I had 1 returns so far, where the quickstrut makes some odd squeaking sound even when new. Since my supplier is only 5 miles away and have quick return policy, I swapped with another unit and the squeak went away....took some extra time on the customer due to comebacks but at the end: customer was happy and my reputation remained intact.

Q.

A bad sway bar link makes a horrible groan .Try spritz the suspect with some spray lube. If noise disappears.....

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try a quick shot of spray lube to see if it shuts up before condemning it.
I have to say I'm disappointed, I've used plenty of moog stuff in the past like tie rods and ball joints with no trouble. When the strut assemblies showed up 'made in china' was printed on the box. If I end up swapping the mounts I'll buy oem.

Try re-torquing the center nut when the vehicle is on the ground. Sometimes a loose nut will cause the issues you describe.

I have Bilstein struts on my CRV and installed new Moog strut mounts and bearings with the Bilsteins. Literally within 3 months I started getting an annoying light ringing noise going over bumps. I narrowed the noise down to the left front strut mount. The strange thing is I saw small shreds of rubber building up near the center of both the left and right front mounts. Both mounts were Made in India. I changed out the mounts and bearings for Honda OEM parts and now the ringing noise and shreds of rubber are gone. It's been about 6 months with no more noise and there are no longer shreds of rubber appearing on the top part of the mount.

China and India Quality can be good but often is not at the expense of keeping costs down. The low costs keep shoppers coming. Look at the Walmart success and most everything there is pretty low quality and disposable.

I replaced the entire assembly as a unit. I got the 'quick struts' since the struts and mounts were both toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back