what is this inside my fram ultras :( help

Status
Not open for further replies.
just checked all my ultras have this inside it smells kind of funny idk if its normal to have that or should it be dry inside cant tell if its oil or water was just about to change oil?

Swab it with a qtip maybe, get it out of there and see if it will burn. Light it carefully on a qtip. ???? Have a glass of water handy for safety.

It's dried-up Purolator honcho spit.
crackmeup2.gif

I don't know what it is, this is 1 of the several reasons I open the box and look carefully for any unusual thingy. If you still have receipt and the place you buy it is not too unconvenience to get exchange I would go there.

All my Fram ultra's have some sort of lube in the bottom. I think they spray some sort of lubricant on the anti drain back valve to preserve it long term.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
All my Fram ultra's have some sort of lube in the bottom. I think they spray some sort of lubricant on the anti drain back valve to preserve it long term.

is this a fact would love to not have to go return these

That is the bypass valve you're seeing and I wouldn't be surprised if they use a little silicone lube on it to prevent dry rot while sitting on the shelf, especially in case of long term storage. It may be impregnated with something, too (??).

I'm speculating but seems plausible to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ccapital83

I have 2 that were sealed when I bought them. They do not have standing oil on them, but they shine like they may have...

Honestly, I would wipe it with a Qtip and if it just looks like oil I would use it...

If it makes you uncomfortable grab something else and call/pm Motorking Monday...

Call their customer service number. 1 800 890 2075

Try option #1 and #2.

I do know that my Fram Ultras have had an oily looking substance on the bypass valve. I don't remember it looking that excessive though.

I'd return them.

If that doesn't go into solution quickly in your oil, it could be a problem with scoring in your engine.

I don't think Fram would put anything in that would hurt your engine
I'm sure some on here think differently
They are wrong
Even the orange can is good when used properly

Is it soft or hard? Can you get down in there and see?

If it's hard its plastisol adhesive for potting the media in the end disc. if its soft its probably some sort of grease from assembly.

soft looks more like water than oil cant tell thoug. I didn't end up using them today was to concerned about it. Hopefully tomorrow Fram has some answers for us. I'm more curious now than anything, I want like everyone who has a Fram XG stash to check theirs lol
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks, Motorking.

I don't notice anything like that in the couple of XG3980's that I have in my stash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back