Honda Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, there must be a million forum debates on this topic! Honda says it is preferred and aftermarket DOT 3 can be used only temporarily. I would say 80% say aftermarket is ok and 20% say use Honda only because Honda says so. Neither side can offer hard factual evidence to support their beliefs.

I have used only Acura/Honda in our 2010 MDX because it was under warranty. Yesterday I flushed the front wheels but ran out of Acura fluid before I could do the rears. Now I have to decide whether I drive way out of my way to get Honda fluid or go to my convenient parts store and get a good quality aftermarket fluid to finish the job. I am inclined to get Honda fluid and then change to aftermarket on my next flush.

I believe the Honda recommendation is connected to the Toyota/Honda master cylinder recall which Toyota blamed on using aftermarket fluid. This, of course, was a lie because the failures were ultimately traced to a batch of faulty seals supplied to both Honda and Toyota.

So, for the 14th million time, is it ok to use aftermarket DOT 3/4 in my 2010 MDX? Ok to mix Acura DOT 3 and aftermarket DOT 3/4 in my MDX? Thanks.

Just for kicks and giggles, I looked at the OM for a 2010 Toyota Avalon. Toyota does not require or even prefer Toyota fluid. I think this is significant because both Toyota and Honda had the same recall issue with the Advics MC external seal failures.

Yes, aftermarket DOT 3/4 is fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Does it say on the cap?

Good suggestion. Cap says use only DOT 3 or 4 from a sealed container. Power Steering cap says use only Honda PS fluid. I would say the Honda DOT 3 requirement in the OM is for marketing and/or legal purposes only.

Usually with Honda they specify DOT 3 ONLY, not a combo 3+4 or
DOT 4....Any major house brand or major brand DOT 3 is perfectly safe to use and will cause no issues. The only fluid that is almost a requirement is a Honda specific PS fluid, it is recommended to use Honda branded fluid, but you can use any major brand fluid that specifically states "For Honda and Acura" only right on the bottle itself.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
DOT 4....Any major house brand or major brand DOT 3 is perfectly safe to use and will cause no issues. The only fluid that is almost a requirement is a Honda specific PS fluid, it is recommended to use Honda branded fluid, but you can use any major brand fluid that specifically states "For Honda and Acura" only right on the bottle itself.

Ok, but which Honda advice should you follow? The Owner Manual or the master cylinder cap?

Brake fluid is one of the few fluids you can go aftermarket.

With ATF and power steering fluid you should use Honda fluid.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

This. I'm not sure why, but I always get a firmer pedal when I use generic DOT3 fluid...instead of the Valvoline DOT3/4 stuff.

I have been maintaining two H ('03 Accord) onda/Acura vehicles for many years now. We have 167k miles on one and 133k miles on the other ('06 TSX).

I flush the brake fluid with a Motive power bleeder every time I do any brake maintenance (pads, rotors, etc.). I've always used a good name brand aftermarket Dot 3/4 dual rated fluid. I've never had to replace any brake seals, hoses, calipers or master cylinders.

Generally I like to replace the brake fluid at least once every two years. I've been doing that on our daily driver vehicles for more than two decades now, and I rarely have had any brake hydraulic system leaks or failures. The last one I remember failing was the master cylinder on our 1986 Taurus. The original master cylinder failed at around 45k miles! Much to my surprise, that POS was all plastic. Needless to say, I bought an aftermarket cast iron replacement master cylinder. Plastic master cylinders were not a "Better Idea".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back