Brake Fluid Shelf Life

Brake cylinder reservoirs are all plastic these days so maybe it should be at least as good in a plastic bottle as it would be in the car. To play safe I still prefer to buy brake fluid in tins.

<---- Collapsed like this?

Another vote for "use it".

I'm pretty sure this is the original fluid in the Lexus. Tester says it only has 1% water and is "OK". 🤪

20240118_170925_resized.jpg

I need to test the tester.

<---- Collapsed like this?

Another vote for "use it".

I'm pretty sure this is the original fluid in the Lexus. Tester says it only has 1% water and is "OK". 🤪

View attachment 202132

I need to test the tester.
You’d be surprised. Brake systems are better sealed than the internet would like you to believe, and DOT3 fluid does not absorb as much moisture as DOT4 and 4LV.

However, the additive system does deteriorate over time so there is some benefit to replacing the fluid.

Brake cylinder reservoirs are all plastic these days so maybe it should be at least as good in a plastic bottle as it would be in the car. To play safe I still prefer to buy brake fluid in tins.
The moisture enters through various points in the braking system: reservoir, cylinder, calipers, and microscopic pores in hoses.
We have been through this numerous times:

The moisture enters through various points in the braking system: reservoir, cylinder, calipers, and microscopic pores in hoses.
We have been through this numerous times:
I think that's a 1990's reason to replace fluid. I'm not telling people to not replace fluid, but I don't think moisture is the main reason anymore - it is the general degradation of the fluid's additive package. Especially if one is using DOT3 and not DOT4/4LV.

I think that's a 1990's reason to replace fluid. I'm not telling people to not replace fluid, but I don't think moisture is the main reason anymore - it is the general degradation of the fluid's additive package. Especially if one is using DOT3 and not DOT4/4LV.
There is no doubt that the chemistry of it advanced. However, the fact is that brake fluid is still hygroscopic (unless we talk about hydrophobic fluids, but that is a different conversation). Climate is also a big factor in it. It will attract less moisture in a dry climate, and vice versa.
Also, there is a copper issue, etc. While DOT3 does attract less moisture, there are still copper levels, etc.

So, I would say still, replacing fluid after several years is prudent for regular drivers, DOT3 or not.

There is no doubt that the chemistry of it advanced. However, the fact is that brake fluid is still hygroscopic (unless we talk about hydrophobic fluids, but that is a different conversation). Climate is also a big factor in it. It will attract less moisture in a dry climate, and vice versa.
Also, there is a copper issue, etc. While DOT3 does attract less moisture, there are still copper levels, etc.

So, I would say still, replacing fluid after several years is prudent for regular drivers, DOT3 or not.
What if the tester reads there is no moisture?

I keep 1-2 qt in here. The cap is sealed. Only DOT3 is allowed in here, nothing else. Does that make me the villain?

IMG_7738.jpeg

Back