question about old filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, does anyone know what happens to their old filters after say you take them to a auto parts place or recycling center? Had not thought much about it myself. I usually give mine to a older gentleman that crushes them down with a crusher, then he takes them in for scrap. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

A proper recycling place crushes them further draining the remaining oil and some of this oil is used to incinerate the non steel parts. They are then cubed/compacted into recyclable steel cubes and the extra oil is recycled.

Thanks for that link 901Memphis, very cool to see the process
smile.gif

I never heard of recycling centres for them, or any recycling for that matter.

Anyone know where to recycle them in canuckland?

I once brought them to ctire and they were like
confused.gif
confused2.gif

Last edited:
I take them in to a local recycling center whether I cut them or not. The steel gets recycled, I'm not sure what they do with the filter media and plastic parts.

Stewie; look up OFR or oil filter recyclers. They have a fleet of trucks with custom made trailers that pick up old oil filters. Based out of Illinois I found

I just read about this. Something like 60% of filters from pay shops are recycled compared to 3% of filters from DIYers. I will start to recycle mine.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Found a video

Oil filter recycling by Lucas Lane Inc.: https://youtu.be/NplprEGyFKw

I've seen that video before. Pretty cool process. But I think the version I saw before was a little different. It included a little bit of personal information at the end, about the family that runs the business. IIRC, the operation is primarily run by the younger sons of the family. They run the operation, keep the books, are responsible for sale of the reclaimed steel and oil. It's pretty amazing to have seen how they have provided a great opportunity for these young men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back