Oil filter disposal: what do you do?

I burn mine in the burning barrel.

This is just one example of the recycling scams.

Most of its a scam.
Even the recycling bins at shops, the stuff all goes into the garbage dumpster.
If you feel all warm and fuzzy recycling, then you should continue to do so.

Me I live in the country and burn my garbage.

Not worth the fuel to haul it somewhere.

throw them into trash🤬🤬🤬🙈
burns them out when clearing brush, trees etc. great fire starters
Great (sarcasm) Thank them for me.
My neighbor garage throws them in any junk cars on the property. Sez "Oh, they do so much better when on the scale @ the scrap man's."

We're lucky. Gota waste oil back up to our wood stove (2 seperate systems). They partner to reduce bills for winter heat costs. Part ofa whole business model we only do reg customers' oil changes (too expensive otherwise). Oil changes R ol skol here. Itsa time to do the 3, 4K mi maintainence schedule. A safety check'n 1/4ly shop stop. Most ppl bearly ck fluids, tire pressure, etc so really need some one (not the numerous national oil change joints) to eyeball their rigs. We get more'n more cartridge style, less'n less spin-ons. Both are well drained'n recycled w/local big box store. They deliver our oil (I request sale items & 5L as I hate the extra plastic). All but 1&2 (in triangle on bottom) are carcinogenic & mutagenic when left to degrade in the open environment. Let's burn more into the air (sarcasm) & spread more acc the ground (& ocean). #3 - 7 R really not recyclable and should B stopped.

Last edited:
I dispose of them at any Canadian Tire outlet. It's a free service they offer along with all types of automotive fluids. Yes it does feel good to recycle properly. No excuse not to in my case.

I burn mine in the burning barrel.

This is just one example of the recycling scams.

Most of its a scam.
Even the recycling bins at shops, the stuff all goes into the garbage dumpster.
If you feel all warm and fuzzy recycling, then you should continue to do so.

Me I live in the country and burn my garbage.

Not worth the fuel to haul it somewhere.

Wow, that’s a very eye opening video. Thank You sir

My city/town has a garbage to energy incinerator. After everything gets burned to ash, what’s left is metal which gets picked up by magnets and sent to a smelter for melt down

each plastic is pretty different.
#1 & 2 (on bottom, in triangle) R pretty recyclable.
The Amer Chem Soc ("K" St, W. DC pros) lobbied (for plastics industry) to get #3 - 7 on there. Stuff is much harder to recycle. Not many do it. These R poison when left out in the atmosphere to degrade (mutagenic, carcinogenic). So land fill it, burn it - just spreads that stuff around. No wonder there's now a standard in merica: death in ol age is pretty much from cancer.

I may just take my filters to Walmart since there is a free EV charger nearby.

I'm going to look into bringing old tires to the nearby dump too. I could probably save $100 in tire disposal fees a year for my dealership if we just hauled them to the county dump.

Oil filters: I throw them in the burn barrels I use for burning stumps, along with cardboard, scrap wood, and wood from felled trees. Then i throw the burned filters in the trash. I did just get a cutter so I might start recycling the metal can part.

Antifreeze: I toss it out on my gravel driveway asap and let it get absorbed.

Used ATF/motor oil/gear oil: I mix it with gasoline and use it to start fires (usually in the burn barrel).

Wow, that’s a very eye opening video. Thank You sir

You are welcome.

Marketplace has done several shows.
I also like the one where they glue trackers to paper cups at restaurants like Tim hortons, then at locations all across the country throw one cup in the garbage, and the other into the recycling bin, then track the cups. Every cup went to the land fill. In fact they had cameras out behind some of the businesses and the people who emptied the garbage and recycling bins, took all the bags out back, and tossed them all in the same garbage dumpster.
People put items into recycle bins to make themselves feel better, I get that. But they may as well toss it into the trash bin in reality.
But I honestly think that making oneself feel better, is actually good for their mental health, so should keep doing it. Once they do their part, and it all goes to the dump anyway, is out of their control, but they tried.

Me personally, I have no desire to drive it 40 minutes each way, and nobody offers garbage or recycling pickup out here, so I burn it all.
Bought a new couch last week, took my old couch out to the burn pile and torched it.

Mine go to the county waste disposal site where they have a drop off bin for them and an oil collection site and a large container for empty oil jugs.

An oil filter will degrade to almost nothing in about 10 years if buried in a landfill. I bought a small one acre property in the country and the previous homeowner buried his oil filters in one spot. I found a couple barely sticking up out of the ground and dug around and unearthed a bunch of them. They rusted out and were degraded to almost nothing. I throw mine in the trash for the garbage man to pick up.

Back